Hello from a phonograph newbie!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
wndsofchng06
Victor Jr

Hello from a phonograph newbie!

Post by wndsofchng06 »

Hello all! Hope everyone is well. I just purchased my first old phonograph. Such a cool machine. It needs a little love, and someone removed the data plate long ago, so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I try to get it back to tip-top shape.
Attachments
phonograph medium.jpg

Victrolaboy
Victor III

Re: Hello from a phonograph newbie!

Post by Victrolaboy »

Hello and welcome to our hobby/ addiction! Could you post some more pictures of your machine if you don't mind? I can't quite tell what it is with that one picture.
-Nick
Nick Hoffmann

wndsofchng06
Victor Jr

Post by wndsofchng06 »

Thanks for the welcome. I've always collected old radios and record players but mostly 40's and 50's style stuff. This one is a new vintage for me. I've attached some more photos, from what people tell me it's probably an off brand. I don't care, I just think it's neat and want it to sound good again (it does currently work, just not well).
Attachments
105_0817.JPG
105_0817.JPG (174.01 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
105_0816.JPG
105_0816.JPG (163.25 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
105_0815.JPG
105_0815.JPG (154.58 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
105_0814.JPG
105_0814.JPG (170.28 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
105_0813.JPG
105_0813.JPG (166 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Welcome to the forum! :)

You'll find lots of helpful folks here (and it looks like you may want some re-veneering tips!). I'd be interested to know the brand of your machine, although there doesn't seem to be a lid decal. It's quite likely one of the several hundred brands that popped up in the 1915-1923 period; many of which didn't survive long. If so, there's an outstanding article on these "off brands" at the Antique Phonograph Society website:

http://www.antiquephono.org/

Just go to the "Articles" tab. The "Off Brand" article is under the "Intermediate" drop-down menu. Lots of other articles to read as well. Videos too!

Good luck with your new machine. :)

George P.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Welcome!!!! You have come to the right spot for all things related to old phonographs. I am sure that we all started out with a phonograph similar to the one you just acquired. The fever will come on soon and you will be in search of another. Don't hesitate to ask this forum any question that you have.

Congrats!!!!
Ken B.

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

I observe that this has a robust and substantial horn, that appears to be well designed, and doesn't appear to join to the cabinet at the mouth. Many "off brand" machines had poorly designed horns. This one might sound quite nice when refurbished.

Player-Tone
Victor II

Post by Player-Tone »

Welcome to the group, that is a very nice phonograph you got!

A good place to start is with the tone-arm adjustment. Your machine is equipped with a Heineman No.11 tone-arm, which has an adjustable balance spring inside it to reduce pressure on the records. There is the small knob at the back of the tome arm (shown in picture with a red arrow) that adjusts the spring tension in the tone-arm. This should be adjusted so that the reproducer is putting about 4oz of pressure on the record at the needle tip. Turning the knob clockwise will increase pressure/ counter clockwise will decrease. Sometimes these springs are too loose and the reproducer tracks way too heavy.
Attachments
HeinemanArmSpringArrow.jpg
HeinemanArmSpringArrow.jpg (124.91 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
-Mike

wndsofchng06
Victor Jr

Post by wndsofchng06 »

Very interesting! The tone arm on mine just seems to flop around... Maybe this spring is broken?
Last edited by wndsofchng06 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wndsofchng06
Victor Jr

Post by wndsofchng06 »

Phototone wrote:I observe that this has a robust and substantial horn, that appears to be well designed, and doesn't appear to join to the cabinet at the mouth. Many "off brand" machines had poorly designed horns. This one might sound quite nice when refurbished.
Wish I knew what kind of grill used to cover it...

Player-Tone
Victor II

Post by Player-Tone »

wndsofchng06 wrote:Very interesting! The tone arm on mine just seems to flop around... Maybe this supporting is broken?
Hmmm... that doesn't sound good. Something may be broken or missing; probably a good idea to carefully take the tone-arm off and investigate. If the spring is unhooked or broken it will be tracking with around 8oz of pressure, which will be very bad on records.