Important New Article on the APS Website!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Important New Article on the APS Website!

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks to member support, the Antique Phonograph Society has added a 70-page illustrated article whose focus is so broad, it was difficult to give it a title! :)

Sound From Substance; Acoustic Design Reconsidered, by R.J. Wakeman

This new work covers diaphragm design (including the various materials from which they were/are manufactured), sound box/reproducer design, horn design, and even diaphragm-only machines such as the Lumiere and Pathé Actuelle. Even the Stroh violin and various radio drivers and radio speakers are included. Finally, this article includes the original illustrated 1914 Victor instructions on:

Repairing The Victor Exhibition Sound Box

No matter how long or how seriously you've been studying the design of antique phonographs, you'll learn something from this landmark work. Once again, we thank Mr. Wakeman for his exhaustive research and for allowing the APS to freely share it online.

(Isn't this the sort of activity you'd like to help support? Consider joining the APS today! http://www.antiquephono.org.)

We hope everyone enjoys this!

http://www.antiquephono.org/sound-subst ... j-wakeman/

Best to all,

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Important New Article on the APS Website!

Post by fran604g »

Thanks for the heads up, George!

Today I received the APS Journal, and now another great article from Mr. Wakeman!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

wjw
Victor II

Re: Important New Article on the APS Website!

Post by wjw »

Thanks for sharing this. Enjoyed it!