Another Wakeman Article on the APS Website: "Shellac"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Another Wakeman Article on the APS Website: "Shellac"

Post by phonogfp »

If you've ever wanted to know the whole story behind what's in the disc records we collect - - especially the "shellac" often used to describe 78s - - you'll be fascinated by a new article on the APS website:

The Origin & Many Uses of Shellac, by R.J. Wakeman

http://www.antiquephono.org/the-origin- ... j-wakeman/

Not only is there an exhaustive explanation of the various ways shellac was used in records over the years, but its use in diaphragms, cabinet finishes, and other products is presented as well. Even the particular trees and insects are covered whose symbiotic relationship results in this wonderful product!

Dues paid by APS members supports the dissemination of this and other significant bodies of information. If you have not yet joined the Antique Phonograph Society, isn't it time to lend your support to our hobby? You'll be rewarded with four issues of the outstanding journal, The Antique Phonograph, and the knowledge that you give back as well as consume. :) You can be a member within about 2 minutes by going here:

http://www.antiquephono.org/join-us/

Our thanks once again to Mr. Wakeman for his latest contribution to our hobby!

Best to all,

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Another Wakeman Article on the APS Website: "Shellac"

Post by fran604g »

I'll need to dedicate some time in between spring chores to read Mr. Wakemans latest work! Thanks for the heads up, George!

And I agree with joining the APS. For a fraction of the cost of an antique talking machine, one can give back a bit by joining and becoming a supporting member.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Just joined the APS. Some great articles.

Bill K

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Good for you, Bill - - thanks. At least one other member of this forum also joined tonight. My gratitude goes out to you both! :) I hope you'll enjoy the journal!

George P.