Unusual EMG Internal Horn Model

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Loudbass
Victor O

Unusual EMG Internal Horn Model

Post by Loudbass »

I was lucky enough to come across the EMG pictured below on EBay a few months ago. I haven't been able to find out a huge amount about it as it is not a common model. I believe it to be a Mark V, as described in The EMG story on page 111. Certainly the specifications add up, but there is very little information on the Mark V other than in this book. I have recently written a few words about it in the CLPGS magazine, but would welcome any thoughts from the forum members. Acoustically it is a sort of halfway house between the Mark IV and the Mark VII. The sound, with the 4spring brass soundbox is terrific, particularly for vocals. Has anyone come across one of these before?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Unusual EMG Internal Horn Model

Post by Phono48 »

Never seen one before, but what a beautiful machine that is! Infinitely more attractive than the usual EMGs, which, in my humble opinion, have to be the ugliest things in the history of the gramophone.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

My goodness---what a wonderful find---many congratulations !

As far as I know, nobody in recent history has seen a Mk V although, as you say, Frank refers to the model in the great book. Superficially, it appears similar to a Mk IV but with legs/pedestal and a forward-mounted tonearm---the latter to accommodate a longer variant of the Mk IV horn ? It would be most interesting to take detailed dimensions to make comparisons---especially of the internal horn, the width of which (from photos) appears to be narrower than that of the Mk IV. However, this may be an illusion and misleading due to differing case widths ? Unfortunately, I do not possess a Mk IV but I am sure there will be a member of this forum who does and who could take measurements ? As you say in your CLPGS article, this horn seems to be made from ebonite and not the more usual papier-appliqué of the Mk IV. The only other, half-related, similar horn material I have actually seen is the Flaxite example of the 1916 Seymour Superphone shown on page 5 of The EMG Story.

Can you tell us what motor exists inside that superbly veneered and beautiful case ? May we have close-up photos of the soundbox, tonearm bearing and deck-board please ? Do you know the history and how it comes to be in such top condition ?

Loudbass
Victor O

Post by Loudbass »

Thanks for the nice comments. The motor is the Paillard GGR 255. I attach a picture of the soundbox which is an all brass 4 Spring. I've also attached pictures of the motor board and tonearm as requested. It would be interesting to compare horn specifications with the Mark IV. The opening of mine is 14.5 inches wide by 10 inches high. The gramophone was in the same family for most of its life which accounts for the great condition. I am very much enjoying being the new owner and hope I will be a good custodian!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Congratulations, that's a real beauty!

Sean

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Fascinating !

The tonearm mounting contains loose ball-bearings showing that it is of the the early type---please be very careful not to over-tighten. The tonearm rest is also "early". The design of the motor board is intelligent, allowing for easy maintenance whilst maintaining attractive cosmetic style. The four-spring soundbox would appear to have been made before the more standard nickel-plated version. It is also slightly different in design---longer extremities on the spring base.

The whole gramophone appears to be in totally original condition which, in itself, is a major achievement some 85 years after manufacture.

What a treasure and I am sure it has now found the right new home. Superb and well done.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Welcome to the Forum, Thomas.

My CLPGS magazine arrived yesterday and I found the article about your very rare machine fascinating. It never ceases to amaze me what treasures are still out there waiting to be discovered.

This edition of the magazine is full of EMG/Expert content, and alone is worth the modest annual subscription. My own article about my recently acquired Expert Minor immediately follows the EMG Mark V, and there is also an illustrated extract from a 1993 auction catalogue showing what may be an EMG Mark VI.

The recent auction reports in the magazine include details of TWO EMG MarkIV's and a Mark IX. The latter was something of a sleeper, selling for a hammer price of only £300.

Roger.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

That's really gorgeous, fascinating and an astonishingly rare find - congratulations!

Andy (Kent)
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

What a wonderful find, especially in this great condition. I wonder if the cabinets for the "Pedestal"model were used for this?.
Somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember seeing an ad for the EMG VI but cannot think where from. Just received my copy of FTR. Another excellent edition.

Loudbass
Victor O

Post by Loudbass »

Thanks for all the lovely comments. It is great to be able to share this with a group of enthusiasts. I shall keep looking for any further information on this model and will post it if anything turns up!