Difference in volume and tone HMV no. 16 and 5b sound boxes

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Columbia78
Victor I

Difference in volume and tone HMV no. 16 and 5b sound boxes

Post by Columbia78 »

If anyone has been following my exploits with my newly bought HMV 102, it came with a rather nice no. 16 sound box, which I have been really very happy with. But before it actually arrived here I had preemptively bought a replacement sound box for it, a 5b, fully expecting the no.16 to not be very good. I was wondering if anyone using both of these could comment on loudness and tone differences between the two?

The no 16 example I have sounds every bit as loud and bright as a Columbia 15, and comparing the 5b I have it seems less loud and bright although it appears to be in fine shape and not visibly damaged in any way. Is this normal? I thought I had seen a mention here somewhere about the no. 16 being loud.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you----

Here is a link to a test video I made with the 5b sound box using a soft tone steel needle.
https://youtu.be/XmXHywgQChc

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Difference in volume and tone HMV no. 16 and 5b sound bo

Post by Phono48 »

This is a difficult question to answer! I have in total 12 No.5 soundboxes in both the "a" and "b" versions, all fitted to various 102 machines. All have been overhauled, in that the needle bar bearings have been stripped and cleaned, and the rubber backs are in good condition. There is still a marked difference in tone between many of them. Some are more "bassy" than others. I have two No.16s and in my opinion, they are far louder and more strident than the No.5s. Personally speaking, I much prefer the more mellow tone of the No.5.

Great Annette Hanshaw record on that video, not heard that one before!

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Thank you! Nice to know there are differences. This one is noticeably different than the no. 16. It has not been overhauled, and I will have to give it a good testing to decide if it needs one. It doesn't sound bad as is, in my opinion.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Sorry to say, there is nothing you can do to overhaul a No.16. The front is machine-pressed on to the back, and is impossible to remove without destroying the whole thing

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Phono48 wrote:Sorry to say, there is nothing you can do to overhaul a No.16. The front is machine-pressed on to the back, and is impossible to remove without destroying the whole thing
Luckily mine seems to be fine. I hope it stays that way.

By the way, which needles do you use with your 5b? I have been using soft tone needles with all my machines, and am wondering if perhaps the 102 would sound better at least with the 5b using a louder needle.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I always use soft tone on all my machines. Not only are they kinder to records, but I also have to consider the neighbours!

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Phono48 wrote:I always use soft tone on all my machines. Not only are they kinder to records, but I also have to consider the neighbours!
I agree. By the way, I think I'm getting accustomed to the 5b now, and prefer it to the no 12. It seems to have a nicer tone, even if it isn't as loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXdjzjDVfuE