Union Treasure - Zonophone Rear Mount

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Union Treasure - Zonophone Rear Mount

Post by Jerry B. »

For me a Union treasure also includes things purchased on the road. I bought this little Zonophone from phono-nerd friend Larry S. in Iowa. I think it's a very interesting machine. At first glance it appears to be a model made when Victor controlled the Zonophone name and promoted it as a budget brand that competed with Columbia. Of course the basic Victor would be far superior to any Columbia. At first glance this machine appears to have been made under the Victor umbrella. The paper label on the underside is nearly identical to any Victor. The top board is all wood unlike earlier Zonophones, even early rear mounts, that had a lift-out mechanism with ornate cast decks. The motor is unlike anything I've seen in a Victor product. The speed control is a small lever with knob at the end that sticks out past the edge of the turntable. Another interesting feature is the lifted or neutral position when the tone arm is lifted. The tone arm does not have a u-tube but it can be lifted past a certain point and will remain there until the next play. I have not looked through my Zonophone reprints to determine this model but maybe someone can help. Thanks Larry!
Attachments
DSC04580.JPG
DSC04582.JPG
DSC04578.JPG
DSC04577.JPG
DSC04574.JPG
DSC04576.JPG

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Re: Union Treasure - Zonophone Rear Mount

Post by ambrola »

Jerry,
Does it open from the bottom? I like it.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, access to the motor is from the bottom. Jerry

phonocookie
Victor I

Post by phonocookie »

Hi Jerry I have the same machine as you but my speed control is on the side. Horn is a black with brass bell horn. Other then that same as you. Jerry

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

So, as far as "Union Treasures" go, can we count things purchased some time back and then delivered to Union by certain Forum members?

- BG complements of JerryB
- Aluminium horn complements of Brice P

Looks nice next to my BGT don't you think so? :)
Attachments
IMG_1180.JPG

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Gerry,

Nice Zon-o-phone - interesting changes you have noted by Victor

Bruce,

Both BG's are spectacular side by side.

Bruce

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Bruce, I've always thought there was something elegant about mahogany cylinder machines. Yours are great!

Jerry B.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

So, clearly the beige packing tape is not original, but is the trap door and hardware to this model..??. It just looks out of place. Yet, there seems to be no other way to access the motor.

Nice overall machine.. ;).

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I believe the Zonophone is a late concert model. Mine has a sunburst blue flower horn and a 2 spring motor, with a similar case. It too, opens from the bottom. I never saw a lever like that before. Very unusual. One note (pardon the pun) :lol: about Columbia machines. When properly tuned up and restored, I think they perform just as well as any Victor or Edison (cylinder machines) :D :D. Just thought I'd throw in some good natured fun.
Harvey Kravitz

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Hi Jerry,
I think you have a late Zonophone Parlor with Tapering Arm. It is the only one in the catalog that has this strange lever brake. I will post a picture later. Based on the catalog it should have a 9" turntable. Nice machine!
Andreas