An Orthophonic Reproducer with No Cracks on Backside!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

An Orthophonic Reproducer with No Cracks on Backside!

Post by CDBPDX »

Just brought home a fair Victrola VV 2-55 with an Orthophonic reproducer. This is the first one I've seen with no hint of a crack on the backside. Very cool!

Cliff
Attachments
tn-600_VV2-55_Reproducer_0000.JPG
tn-600_VV2-55_Reproducer_0000.JPG (274.32 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
tn-600_VV2-55_Reproducer_0001.JPG
tn-600_VV2-55_Reproducer_0001.JPG (334.27 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
tn-600_VV2-55_Reproducer_0002.JPG
tn-600_VV2-55_Reproducer_0002.JPG (278.87 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: An Orthophonic Reproducer with No Cracks on Backside!

Post by De Soto Frank »

They are out there, Cliff. Glad you found one - that's a keeper !

By the way, take note of the small letter "B" under the middle "O" in "Orthophonic" on the back-plate...

So far, I have observed backs plates with: no letter, letter "B", and letter "C".

I have inquired here a couple of times about the significance of this letter, but no one seems to know... :coffee:

( If they do, they're not talking... :roll: )

Frank
De Soto Frank

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

The diaphragm looks to be in excellent condition. Unfortunately, I can't play it yet because the needle tightening screw was broken off. Haven't had much success with removing the remains of a broken needle screw. Any ideas?

Cliff
Attachments
tn-600_VV2-55_Reproducer_0003.JPG
tn-600_VV2-55_Reproducer_0003.JPG (45.05 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Very nice find. I think alot of it depends on where and how they were stored. Of course as we all know it also depends on the ingredients in the pot metal, some have more lead than others. I often look at these pot metal reproducers and think about the decades, I am wondering when most of them started to break down? was it the 1940's, 50's etc.?

Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

Post by Oceangoer1 »

I have no idea if this will work, but I was planning on doing it to a broken thumbscrew I have.

Glu or epoxy a really thin piece of metal, or something similar to what's left of the screw and use that to twist the remaining parts out. I will probably end up using an untwisted paper clip or a kebab stick.

I believe the issue when this happens is that it's not necessarily stuck in there, it's just that you have nothing to grab on to in order to twist it out.

Congratulations by the way on the intact reproducer. I have several of these that came with portables and I have a couple that are rebuilt and I use them on my floor model Orthophonics. They are all without cracks and i have had good luck disassembling them!

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

CDBPDX wrote:The diaphragm looks to be in excellent condition. Unfortunately, I can't play it yet because the needle tightening screw was broken off. Haven't had much success with removing the remains of a broken needle screw. Any ideas?

Cliff
You could try to make a new slot by tapping a small blade against the broken part of the screw, and then unscrew it. I did that successfully on larger screws, doing it with the tiny needle screw will be challenging, you would need to place the needle holder in a stable base to prevent it from breaking when you tap with the blade. There are some watch repair tools designed for that.

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Have you considered taking it to a watch repair person that might know how to take it out.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

If there isn't anything clamped in the needle-chuck by the remains of the screw, try backing the screw out with a good jewelers' screw-driver just a tad narrower than the bore of the screw ( check by fitting in another reproducer with the thumbscrew removed ), using a good amount of inward pressure.

If the screw was not cross-threaded, or over-tightened against something in the chuck, hopefully it will back-out to where you can grab it with needle-nose pliers.

Sometimes we get lucky this way...

:coffee:
De Soto Frank

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

CDBPDX wrote:Just brought home a fair Victrola VV 2-55 with an Orthophonic reproducer. This is the first one I've seen with no hint of a crack on the backside. Very cool!

Cliff
The most common place to find a crack is the backside :lol:

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I would first use a punch to make an indent in the broken screw and then drill it out with a small drill bit. Take it slow and you will get good results.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."