HMV Summer Model

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
neilmack
Victor II

HMV Summer Model

Post by neilmack »

A new acquisition!

To begin with, I thought someone had hacked an early cabinet model in half, since I had never seen a table model with a simple flat lid. But this machine, though grubby and generally tired, isn't a frankenphone - it is much as it left the factory - an oak machine with a 10 inch platter, and that seemingly excessive number of louvres. It came with an American-made GCL Exhibition soundbox.

There's an article, in German, which identifies it as a "Summer Model" code T.A.O here http://grammophon-platten.de/e107_plugi ... .php?36193 and an illustration of one sold in Norway here http://www.grammofonmuseum.no/Grammofon ... mmer_1.htm

By design, the soundbox isn't in line with the arm, and that seems to have necessitated the small bracket mounted on the arm.

The metal plaque on the front of this specimen identifies it as having been retailed in Birmingham.

Unlike the examples in the two links, there's absolutely no gleam or sheen on the woodwork, inside or out, and I'm wondering if it was finished differently.

Tomorrow I shall take out the motor board. From the weight of the machine, I am not expecting a cast iron throat, but a simple wooden horn, made up of internal baffles.
Attachments
HMV Summer Model TAO DSCF5441  (11).JPG
HMV Summer Model TAO DSCF5441  (14).JPG
HMV Summer Model TAO DSCF5441  (17).JPG
HMV Summer Model TAO DSCF5441  (10).JPG
HMV Summer Model TAO DSCF5441  (6).JPG

Garret
Victor IV

Re: HMV Summer Model

Post by Garret »

In regards to the finish, your machine definitely did not leave the factory that way. Notice the color difference between the center of the inside of the lid and the rest of the cabinet.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

It does look as if it had been stripped...

BTW, a number of other Victrolas had the same off center soundbox and stop bracket, as on my VV-IX.

Bill

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The Summer Model T.A.O was a low priced table gramophone introduced in 1914. It sold in small numbers in the UK for £6-6-0, although to the best of my knowledge it was never included in the UK HMV instrument catalogue. In Germany it was sold as the Gramola No.71.