Emile Berliner and Credenza

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Emile Berliner and Credenza

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

You guys have probably seen this before but it was new to me. I was scrolling through the Library of Congress site and came across this labeled " Man and Phonograph". It's obviously Emile Berliner, probably done with that series of photos of him with early equipment and his first microphone.
Fun, eh?

Jim
Attachments
34348r.jpg
34348r.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 1319 times

Garret
Victor IV

Re: Emile Berliner and Credenza

Post by Garret »

:shock:

Can you share the weblink?

Garret

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Hi Garret:

Go to the Library of Congress website -- https://www.loc.gov/ -- and in the search box at the top, select Photos/Prints/Drawings (using the down arrow) and then type in Phonograph, etc., for the search term.

I noticed that only some of the images are available full size to online users.

OF

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

It's a great image Jim. If they hadn't put shims under the foot of the Credenza...Berliner would have had to hold it up... :o . Talk about an level floor.... :lol:.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Look at those bun feet. Btw, it looks like good ole Emile Berliner is laid back compared to uptight Thomas Edison. Ole Tom always looked uptight to me.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Wonderful picture! I'm guessing there's only about 25-30 years separating the two phonographs? I figure this must have been taken around 1926, since it's a four-door Credenza.
Thanks for posting this!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

All,

I messaged the Library of Congress's Prints and Photographs division about this image to let them know that it features Emile Berliner, and received the following reply below. If you all see any more images like this, you might want to pass the information along.

Best,

Garret
---------------
"Hello Garret Girmus,

A number of the photographs from the Harris & Ewing Collection have come to us with little or no caption information, like the one you have located. We are very grateful for assistance in adding useful identifying information to make these photographs more useful for researchers. As you can imagine, our collections are very extensive (over 15 million items) and we often do not have the staff resources to further research minimally identified items. Thank you for sending along the information you provided. I've put in a request for correction to the catalog record.

Thanks again,

Kristi Finefield"

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

barnettrp21122 wrote:Wonderful picture! I'm guessing there's only about 25-30 years separating the two phonographs? I figure this must have been taken around 1926, since it's a four-door Credenza.
Thanks for posting this!
Bob
I'd say about 30 years: the hand wind has the early 'strap' reproducer of 1895/6. :geek:

Bill