Columbia Eccentric Guide Rod Removal

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
benjaminh
Victor II

Columbia Eccentric Guide Rod Removal

Post by benjaminh »

Anyone know how to get this eccentrically mounted guide rod out? I've removed the long set screw, and tried to tap it gently out from the left side to the right, but it doesn't seem to want to budge. Before I apply brute force, I wanted to check if there was something I was missing. Does the screw, that you turn to adjust the eccentric rod (and that has been previously ill-used with a poor screwdriver fit, grr...), need to be unscrewed from the guide rod?

Attached are some pics...

Benjamin
Attachments
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Columbia Eccentric Guide Rod Removal

Post by fran604g »

I outline the complete disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly for the BKT with a slide show hosted by the Antique Phonograph Society website here: http://www.antiquephono.org/videos/, including the reproducer height adjustment eccentric rod. Here is a direct link to the YouTube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA_nAoNINu8

See slides #9 - #11 in particular (around 0:59, in the video).

Also, the correct procedure for alignment and calibration of the governor is included in the slide show.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

benjaminh
Victor II

Post by benjaminh »

Thanks Fran, don't know how I forgot about that video. It's really helpful, as these Columbia machines seem to be a lot less straight forward to disassemble. I'll try driving out, which may prove to be a bit more difficult in this confined space...

Benjamin

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Ah, you're right, I wonder if you might be able to construct a small device to "press" it out with a small set screw and an internally threaded coupling nut? Hold the coupling nut, and with a pair of small locking pliers, grasp and "unscrew" the inserted set screw so that it pushes against the confined end of the shaft? Be careful to not bugger up the threads near the nut, so that you can thread it back in to remove it from the casting.

Just a thought if all else fails.
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

benjaminh
Victor II

Post by benjaminh »

Great idea Fran! I have a couple coupling nuts lying around that would work well for such a purpose. If all else fails, I'll try that. I haven't worked on pushing it out much yet, since I wasn't positive if I was on the right track, so it may come out relatively easily...