Deutsche Grammophon soundbox : Information needed.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Deutsche Grammophon soundbox : Information needed.

Post by epigramophone »

This soundbox bears the inscription "DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT" and the serial number 7567. The body is about 4mm wider than an Exhibition and even the rubber back is slightly wider, as I discovered when trying to fit it with a new Exhibition back. The holes did not quite line up.

Any information on this soundbox, especially dates of production, would be much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1599.JPG
IMG_1600.JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Deutsche Grammophon soundbox : Information needed.

Post by Curt A »

Aktiengesellschaft (German pronunciation: [ˈʔakt͡si̯ənɡəˌzɛlʃaft]; abbreviated AG pronounced [ʔaːˈgeː]) is a German word for a corporation limited by share ownership (i.e. is owned by its shareholders) and may be traded on a stock market.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

It had to have been pre WW1 because at the outbreak of the war DGG was seized by the Imperial government as being British owned, and thus, enemy property. At that time DGG had to cease using the His Master's Voice (Stimme Seines Herrn) logo.

Thus, I'd think an HMV Exhibition flange *should* fit.

As to when it was made... we know the latest is likely around September 1914, but I'm not sure when G&T / HMV introduced their version of the Exhibition. I know it must have been some time in the 1903-5 era because I've seen original G&T "New Style" #3 gramophones with early Exhibitions. Of course yours is a tapered arm flange, so that would date the beginnings to when HMV started using the tapered arm.

So, sometime between tapered arm and September 1914 would be the range.

Hope this semi senseless ramble is of some use, LOL.

EDIT: Whups, here's another source- more authoritative- that says DGG and HMV parted ways in 1916, not 1914:

https://history.deutschegrammophon.com/en_GB/home

And... edit again. I forgot you are in the UK.

If the HMV flange doesn't fit... which is odd... could you possibly get us a measurement of how far apart the mounting holes are for the DGG flange? There are often small differences between HMV and U.S. Victor parts. Maybe a Victor flange will fit- if it is different.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Thank you gentlemen.

The measurements between the centres of the screw holes are 29mm on the Exhibition and 31mm on the German box.

The Exhibition was adopted by G&T soon after it's introduction in 1903, but was not made in the UK until about 1918.

On 26 November 1916 (100 years ago today) the German government issued an order for the liquidation of the property owned by The Gramophone Company in Germany, which was sold by public tender on 21 April 1917.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

epigramophone wrote:Thank you gentlemen.

The measurements between the centres of the screw holes are 29mm on the Exhibition and 31mm on the German box.

The Exhibition was adopted by G&T soon after it's introduction in 1903, but was not made in the UK until about 1918.

On 26 November 1916 (100 years ago today) the German government issued an order for the liquidation of the property owned by The Gramophone Company in Germany, which was sold by public tender on 21 April 1917.
Well, heck... this dimension on the Victor Exhibition is 28,5mm

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

I was measuring with a steel ruler so my 29mm for the Exhibition could well have been 0.5mm out, but there is no doubt that the same measurement on the German soundbox is 2mm wider. I shall probably have to fabricate a new rubber back for it.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

epigramophone wrote:I was measuring with a steel ruler so my 29mm for the Exhibition could well have been 0.5mm out, but there is no doubt that the same measurement on the German soundbox is 2mm wider. I shall probably have to fabricate a new rubber back for it.
The rubber would likely stretch enough to accommodate 0,5mm. I have noticed that the parts on a Vic 4 to an HMV 4 reproducer are just barely off.

Wonder if you could somehow just "egg shape" the holes on an HMV 1mm on each hole and still use it. Bet you can.