Edison - Bell Commercial phonograph -- request for pictures

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Dulcetto
Victor II

Edison - Bell Commercial phonograph -- request for pictures

Post by Dulcetto »

Dear all , I am hoping someone can help point me in the direction of some good pictures that will show the arrangement of the motor of an Edison - Bell " Commercial " phonograph. The phonograph I am talking about is the model that was made in the Edison works in America specifically for Edison -Bell in England and is the machine that was famously painted by Francis Barraud in his original version of " His Master's Voice".
The phonograph normally has an electric motor ( although Edison - Bell also advertised that the machine could be had with a spring motor fitted ) which I understand is essentially the same motor that was fitted to the Edison Class M phonograph , although I assume there are some differences in the way the motor is governed as the Edison - Bell Commercial does not have a top - mounted governor as does the Class M. I am aware of the photograph that appears on page 173 of Frow ( The Edison Cylinder phonographs 1877 - 1929 ) but it is not that clear and I wonder if there are superior photos in any other publication of which I am unaware ? or better still , does any member have an example of this machine and is willing to post photos please ? I am currently helping to restore an Edison - Bell Commercial ( specifically to re-fit the motor ) which is the reason for my interest and I wish to try to ascertain if there are any missing parts etc. Any help would be naturally much appreciated . Regards Dulcetto