Next CLPGS London Meeting : Tuesday 20th June at 19:00

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Wagnerian
Victor II

Next CLPGS London Meeting : Tuesday 20th June at 19:00

Post by Wagnerian »

The next meeting of the City of London Phonograph and Gramophone Society will take place on Tuesday 20th June in the Bertrand Russell Room of the Conway Hall, 25 Red Lion Square, London, WC1 4RL (nearest tube: Holborn)

The presenter will be Dr. Simon Heighes giving a talk entitled "Twin-Peaks: The Drama of Early Stereo"

The talk commences at 19:00 and admission is free. All are welcome to join us, whether a CLPGS member or not.

I hope to see some of you there.

All the best

Tim W-W

RefSeries
Victor I

Re: Next CLPGS London Meeting : Tuesday 20th June at 19:00

Post by RefSeries »

The meeting last night was a cracker. Simon Heighes presented in a way which held the audience and which showed his passion for his topic. He talked about stereo not just from a recording point of view but prefaced this with the use of breadth and depth by early composers creating music in large auditoria, which was an aspect I confess I hadn't thought about before.

He finished by playing some 'accidental stereo' tracks which made use of 1920s mono recordings which had been mixed with second, simultaneous, takes of the same performance. This is no mean feat in itself, but the result was breathtaking.

A great evening. I now know why we have two ears!

Keith