Which machines take this Pathé disc reproducer?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
john9ten
Victor II

Which machines take this Pathé disc reproducer?

Post by john9ten »

Hello all

I bought this Pathé disc reproducer for a Pathéphone 8 machine that I had, but the machine was problematic so I sold it (and I did disclose its issues to the buyer!). In the meantime, I had purchased this reproducer off of eBay France, as it is the correct one for the Pathéphone I had. Can anyone tell me what other models it is appropriate for, as I would like to get another Pathé machine and use this reproducer. Interestingly, the reproducer body is not black painted metal as I thought, but is Ebonite, the same black plastic that the Pathé cylinder reproducers were made of.

When I bought it, I did not realize that the cap at the end of the needle bar was the stylus protector. i thought it was the sleeve into which you insert the stylus. I knew that there were stylus caps, but they were usually red. On inspecting this, I discovered traces of red paint on the cap. I used a red marker to retouch it (as seen in the third pic). I unscrewed it and was surprised and thrilled to see the original Pathé sapphire stylus intact! The auction did not mention that the stylus was present so I was going to buy another.

Yet another plus was that this reproducer came with its original labeled box! The lid needs regluing but it is present. See pics.

John Robles
Attachments
20170624_141609_resized.jpg
20170624_145051_resized.jpg
20170624_145825_resized.jpg
20170624_141700_resized.jpg
20170624_141852_001_resized.jpg

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Which machines take this Pathé disc reproducer?

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I think the ebonite reproducer would be appropriate for most of the outside horn machines.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Nice reproducer with original box, stylus, and cap. I think these were used on the rear mount outside horned models. I have an early Pathé Model F from about 1907 or so, that uses that exact same reproducer. I believe these may have been used on the early internal horned ones,too.
Harvey Kravitz

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

This reproducer can be used on all early Pathé machines, up to around 1915, with the properly sized rubber extension (it varies with the type of machine and tone arm). It was sold at the same time as the larger Concert reproducer, made in aluminum. Later models used a different reproducer, made of steel box in a single piece.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

That reproducer is far too late to have existed on a 1907 era machine. As Carlos says, it is perfectly correct for an internal or external horn machine up to around 1915. However, the first 1906 era soundboxes were all brass bodied and nickel plated but quite small in diameter. These were then superseded by an all ebonite bodied soundbox (no nickel plated bezzel or front clamping ring) which was significantly larger in diameter. Discounting the early "floating" reproducer on the first Modele A and C, there were at least two generations of Pathé soundbox before the one pictured above. A 1906-1910 period machine would not have had one of these soundboxes on it originally.

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

Steve wrote:That reproducer is far too late to have existed on a 1907 era machine. As Carlos says, it is perfectly correct for an internal or external horn machine up to around 1915. However, the first 1906 era soundboxes were all brass bodied and nickel plated but quite small in diameter. These were then superseded by an all ebonite bodied soundbox (no nickel plated bezzel or front clamping ring) which was significantly larger in diameter. Discounting the early "floating" reproducer on the first Modele A and C, there were at least two generations of Pathé soundbox before the one pictured above. A 1906-1910 period machine would not have had one of these soundboxes on it originally.
Odd, because I've seen a few Pathéphone 8s with this reproducer. Maybe that is just because it was available?

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Was this an upgrade for the earlier machines?
Harvey Kravitz

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Phonofreak wrote:Was this an upgrade for the earlier machines?
Harvey Kravitz
It was not sold explicitly as an upgrade, but owners could have bought this reproducer and replaced their old one.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

john9ten wrote:
Steve wrote:That reproducer is far too late to have existed on a 1907 era machine. As Carlos says, it is perfectly correct for an internal or external horn machine up to around 1915. However, the first 1906 era soundboxes were all brass bodied and nickel plated but quite small in diameter. These were then superseded by an all ebonite bodied soundbox (no nickel plated bezzel or front clamping ring) which was significantly larger in diameter. Discounting the early "floating" reproducer on the first Modele A and C, there were at least two generations of Pathé soundbox before the one pictured above. A 1906-1910 period machine would not have had one of these soundboxes on it originally.
Odd, because I've seen a few Pathéphone 8s with this reproducer. Maybe that is just because it was available?
Not really odd considering the '8' was part of a whole new line of machines introduced well after the initial lettered model range (A-E, then supplemented with F & G budget models). The earliest catalogue I've seen for the new numbered models is from 1910 but with Pathé we'll probably never know for definite until someone writes the definitive book on the company and its machines.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Where can one buy suitable rubber hose of various lengths? The black neoprene hoses that I see in automotive and hardware stores is too thick and stiff and has a curl from being coiled up on a spool.