Expert Senior gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Expert
Victor Jr

Expert Senior gramophone

Post by Expert »

This is a photo of my circa 1935 Expert Senior acoustic gramophone, acquired November 2015. It is in as-new condition with 4-spring Expert soundbox, weight adjuster and table. A Collaro D30 double-spring motor is fitted. The whole unit is 6ft 8in high and the total acoustic length, from soundbox to mouth of horn, is approximately 12 feet. It reproduces 78s with astonishing fidelity.
Attachments
EXPERT 1.jpg

Garret
Victor IV

Re: Expert Senior gramophone

Post by Garret »

What a lovely machine! Is the table upon which the gramophone sits original to it?

Garret

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Welcome to the forum Philip. I recognised your machine instantly from your recent magazine article about it.

There must be a story behind it's wonderful condition and originality. Do you know any of it's history?

Roger.

Expert
Victor Jr

Post by Expert »

Thank you for your interest and comments.
Yes, Garret, the table is original and was supplied to its first owner. Expert would supply tables or record-storage cabinets on which to stand the gramophone, of any height, to match the main cabinet in any style or finish, according to customers' requiremants. Expert could also finish the horn exterior to match the colour or style of a customer's wallcovering! Or so they stated.
Roger - thank you for your welcome: nice you recognised my Expert Senior! It was originally supplied to a recital organist, music lecturer and critic who apparently resided in the Nottingham area at one time. He specified he wanted all the "extras" - a soundbox tuned for steel needles, a weight adjuster for the tone-arm, and the table. He used the gramophone in his lectures as well as for his own enjoyment, keeping it in first-class condition. On his death it passed to a female concert pianist who cherished it, then to a collector / dealer who sold it to me. I still can't believe I own it!

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Many congratulations and welcome to the forum. A very beautiful instrument which I know will give you and others much happiness.

Expert
Victor Jr

Post by Expert »

Many thanks, emger, for your welcome and kind comments which are much appreciated. Happiness indeed.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

My own Senior with dark paper horn. Originally, the finish included quite a high predominance of gold colour which has faded over the years. I prefer your lighter painted finish which is less "over-bearing" in a room---we look into a "black hole" ! The previous owner to me took great care of his proud possession for about 45 years and bought it in a Wigan junk shop for £5 ! He transported it home in an open two-seater sports car !

The design is very "art deco" and gloriously impractical in so far as the pedestal case has absolutely no function whatsoever ! Completely inaccessible and empty---apart from the motor at the top. The veneering is superb and, like yours, the sound is wonderful. The motor is Paillard GGR 255. Interestingly, the number stamped under the tonearm bearing flange is No.1 and the thought is that it might have been the/a prototype. There is no tonearm rest, or sign of there ever having been one, in contrast to later examples.
Attachments
DSC04562.JPG

Expert
Victor Jr

Post by Expert »

Great to see your Expert Senior, emger. Many thanks for posting it. I like both the light horns and those as yours. I suppose any finish would stand out these days! I wonder if Mr. Ginn was able to match floral-patterned wallpaper..? He says in a booklet that he could match any sample of wallcovering. Whether he did is a different matter!

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

I think he did---here is an attractive example in Japan. Note the structurally supporting strut which was possibly added post manufacture---a good idea in damp climates or for the "nose-heavy" All-Range with a bell mouth diameter of 36 inches ! It is hard to say which model is depicted in this photo but the All Range is extremely rare..
Attachments
Expert Japan.jpg
Expert Japan.jpg (66.28 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
Last edited by emgcr on Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALVES
Victor O

Post by ALVES »

Here is a picture of my Junior . I like the white horn and light oak woodwork .
Attachments
E1.jpg