Winding handle (crank) for Zonophone or music box?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
phonodesbois
Victor II

Winding handle (crank) for Zonophone or music box?

Post by phonodesbois »

Although similar to a Zonophone crank, it looks way to big (18cm long!). The handle itself is in brass.
So gramophone or music box?
Thanks,
Jeff
Attachments
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG

Schlick
Victor II

Re: Winding handle (crank) for Zonophone or music box?

Post by Schlick »

Jeff,

First: I know NOTHING about this! But let's not let that stop me from giving you my opinion!!!

"Grandfather" clock crank?

-Michael

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Hi Michael and thanks for trying!!!
Although a "Grandfather" clock is huge, in fact it just needs a very small crank.
So, I will assume that this large crank is for a music box and my Zonophone will remain orphan (I mean without his crank.)
Thanks again,
Jeff

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

It's a Zonophone crank. I don't know for what model. The knob however should be wood. The thing I can't tell from your photos is if the rest of the crank is also a nicely made reproduction. Any signs of nickle plating? If you look into the end of the crank, can you see a cross pin, that would engage with a Zonophone motor shaft?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

NOT a Zonophone crank in my opinion... It appears to be a Symphonion music box crank, which is almost identical to a Zonophone crank.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

JerryVan wrote:It's a Zonophone crank. I don't know for what model. The knob however should be wood. The thing I can't tell from your photos is if the rest of the crank is also a nicely made reproduction. Any signs of nickle plating? If you look into the end of the crank, can you see a cross pin, that would engage with a Zonophone motor shaft?
It does have the pin, signs of nickle plating and the brass knob is original.
Given its size, I think that Curt is right and that it is a Symphonion crank (music box as their gramophone were small and rather fragile) ;
Thanks all for your input,
Jeff
Attachments
symphonion gramophone.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

phonodesbois wrote:
JerryVan wrote:It's a Zonophone crank. I don't know for what model. The knob however should be wood. The thing I can't tell from your photos is if the rest of the crank is also a nicely made reproduction. Any signs of nickle plating? If you look into the end of the crank, can you see a cross pin, that would engage with a Zonophone motor shaft?
It does have the pin, signs of nickle plating and the brass knob is original.
Given its size, I think that Curt is right and that it is a Symphonion crank (music box as their gramophone were small and rather fragile) ;
Thanks all for your input,
Jeff
Well then, if the brass knob is original, as you believe, then no, it wouldn't be for a Zonophone. Then again, I've never seen a brass knob on a Symphonion either, but I guess I probably have not "seen it all". Any Symphonion crank that I have seen seems to have a more slender "S" curve and a shaft with a much shorter, large diameter section. Also, a very different knob, be it brass or wood. That brass knob looks very much like a Zonophone shape. Personally, I doubt that it's original, but you have it in front of you, to look at closely, and I do not.