HMV 100 (in part) in Teak

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
SPOONMAN19
Victor O

HMV 100 (in part) in Teak

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

Guys, so unearthing a lot of colonials across South & South East Asia. So far about 8 machines of which I've posted 3 (112 / 114/ 118).
And now this one.
I promise I will stop cause I can imagine it might be irritating - particularity if colonial / teak is not of avid interest.

So with the above apologies / caveat - please do have a look. I think its a 100. The motor works but A "KEY PART" is missing. I normally wouldn't post something like this - but I think the 100 in teak is not something one comes across easily. The seller wants 100$...

Again, my apologies.
Attachments
100 (2).jpg
100 (2).jpg (22.26 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
100 (1).jpg
100 (1).jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: HMV 100 (in part) in Teak

Post by epigramophone »

Even in the standard black leathercloth finish, the HMV100 is quite sought after, so you are unlikely to find one being broken up for spares.

The tonearm assembly pictured below is probably unique to the Model 100, and a good exhibition soundbox will not be cheap.
Attachments
hmv-100.jpg
hmv-100.jpg (35.38 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

SPOONMAN19
Victor O

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

just found this...think its off a 100. Not sure if that's the right soundbox though. Also guessing they must be a base part that attaches the arm to the bottom of the gramophone.Or is the arm connected to the board and nothing else?
Attachments
34.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

SPOONMAN19 wrote:just found this...think its off a 100. Not sure if that's the right soundbox though. Also guessing they must be a base part that attaches the arm to the bottom of the gramophone.Or is the arm connected to the board and nothing else?
The arm is only connected to the board. There is a little cone on the bottom side of the arm, that acts as a kind of sound guide to the bottom part, that reflects back the sound. I have one of these, but a rexine-covered, not the teak model. The sound reproduction is pitifully poor. I have also its Victor counterpart that is almost identical and much more common. If you buy the teak body and complement it with the arm and exhibition soundbox, you will end up with a quite rare machine indeed, and for a low price, (100 + 100 + 50 for an exhibition) however it will be in your collection only for the looks, as virtually every other portable will sound better than this one.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

The soundbox is wrong, as is the winding handle. I can't be sure, but I think the little cone under the arm is present, so all you need to do is remove the arm and attach it to the machine that is missing same. I have a 100, and can't agree that the reproduction is that bad. Obviously not up to the standard of a 102, but certainly not uncomfortable to listen to. True, an Exhibition soundbox will be relatively expensive, but they are not rare, and easy to overhaul if you can get a rough one at a reasonable price. Adding up the cost of the parts on offer, plus the replacement soundbox, I reckon you would still be getting a teak 100 for a good price.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

SPOONMAN19 wrote: I promise I will stop cause I can imagine it might be irritating - particularity if colonial / teak is not of avid interest. Again, my apologies.
It is NOT irritating, it is fascinating! Please stop apologising, if it wasn't for people like you and many others who search the internet and post their findings for the benefit of others, this would be a very dull forum indeed. I for one search the forum every day for posts concerning British and Colonial machines, and welcome any snippet of information I can get. Keep up the good work!

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I am also a proud owner of an HMV 100. It must be said that soundwise is nothing to write home about if compared to orthophonic machines of the same size, both in fidelity and volume, but still it's pleasant to listen to. What is absolutely charming about this machine - at least according to my taste - is its unique "miniature gooseneck" tonearm design, and the way in which a helicoid lifts the arm from resting up to playing position, which is unique to this machine as far as I know. Operating it is a real marvel.

I also agree with other fellows that there is little documentation about colonial models, so any news or any picture are more than welcomed.

Concerning these gramophones as a deal, I have no idea of how much a colonial 100 is worth when in pristine conditions, and I also have no idea of the relative value of US dollars in India. There is sure much work to do on the pictured unit and it lacks a huge fundamental part; personally I would try to ask a price reduction on those $100.

The arm and board you tracked seem absolutely perfect in order to complete the machine, and I also seem to see correctly in place the little horn that goes below the end of the tonearm. I agree that the crank is not the correct one, but you don't need it as the correct one will come with the case.