Ebay Finds

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
edisonclassm
Victor II

Ebay Finds

Post by edisonclassm »

I'm posting a youtube link to a machine and record I bought off ebay. Nothing extraordinary except the interesting thing about this machine is that it had been in the same family since new and I bought it from one of the family members making me a second owner. For some strange reason I'm particularly fond of Edison Home Model-D's. This example is the earlier style equipped with a cygnet horn where the crane does not have the suspension spring but rather the adjustment screw attached to the horn ball socket. This machine was complete in every detail when I got it having both reproducers and that special horn connector that allowed the carriage to lift up and down being that there is no suspension spring. Being from New York State growing up and living in the Buffalo area I am also partial to this song being played on the machine. The earlier rendition sung by Ed Meeker was done in the style of a coon song having similar characteristics to the Preacher and the Bear where the singer interacts with the animal in the song. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ7dGryxieI

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Re: Ebay Finds

Post by FellowCollector »

Very nice Paul! Thanks for sharing the video too. :) The Edison Home model D you have looks and plays great. I have this Ed Meeker cylinder as well. It's one of the more elusive of his Blue Amberol recordings.

Doug

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Cool machine, love the record too, been on the hunt for that one for a while

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

I already had a copy that wasn't as clean. This one came along and was E+ with it's original box so I had to go for it. The Home is in good shape but not pristine. I went through it and detailed and upgraded it as best it could be. It does play great however. Anybody else out there found some neat stuff on eBay?

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Sure, Over the years, Found plenty of parts, reproducers, paper phonographia, and two clean Edison Home Model "B" Phonographs which I still own today...and still on the hunt! The rest of my collection comes from Local Phonograph shows and other local buys..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

zonophpones7
Victor I

Post by zonophpones7 »

Paul,
I have found some amazing things on eBay over the years... however, they were not always a bargain! Some highlights are a Edison Spring Motor with Polyphone attachment, Edison Ideal, Edison Spring Motor with Bettini attachment, String wind Berliner, and ratchet wind Berliner...
Gregg

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

Those are pretty nice machines Gregg. I'm sure they came at a high price as they were probably hotly contested for. I have bought some neat stuff too over the years getting some things at bargain prices and other things paying through the nose. Some examples are a very nice complete Victor III for $200 BIN and a Victor MS for $350 BIN. I paid $350 BIN for the Home shown here. On the other hand I paid over $800 for a copy of Edison BA 5646 which was no bargain since one had gone on eBay a couple of years ago for $275. I have over the years placed some ridiculous bids on various items only to be relieved to find out that I had lost them to a higher bidder! It's all part of the fun!