The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Third and Fourth Crapophones Photos
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:24 pm 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:13 pm
Posts: 14
The first 4 photos show the third crapophone. I tested it and sounds quite good, eventually I am going to post it on youtube.

https://ibb.co/fKAnGv
https://ibb.co/ezUpwv
https://ibb.co/nQMf3a
https://ibb.co/i15ewv

The following photos show the fourth crapophone horn, which I made using my EMG Xa horn as a mold. All paper with some support on the bent and straight parts. The open horn diameter is a little more than 30". I will put it up on youtube, too.

https://ibb.co/hcSbbv
https://ibb.co/cJotOa
https://ibb.co/bQnL3a


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Third and Fourth Crapophones Photos
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:48 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:18 am
Posts: 593
Interesting, how do they compare to the EMG soundwise?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Third and Fourth Crapophones Photos
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:42 pm 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:52 am
Posts: 34
Far be it for me to be in disagreement with the learned folks of this forum but I cannot see how this machine really qualifies as a Crapophone. It may be of recent manufacture, and I hope the author will forgive me, but a good Crapophone has little or no tonearm tracking and should damage records quite readily. I cannot see this quality in the above pictures where the tracking looks to be that of an orthophonic machine. Further a Crapophone should have a horn elbow crudely composed of 2 pieces of metal that, at the join, will quite easily cut you should you brush against it. This and other distinct Crapophone qualities appear to be missing from this machine and perhaps the author should re-think his efforts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Third and Fourth Crapophones Photos
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:50 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am
Posts: 903
Location: Eugene/ Springfield Oregon USA
jamiegramo wrote:
Far be it for me to be in disagreement with the learned folks of this forum but I cannot see how this machine really qualifies as a Crapophone. It may be of recent manufacture, and I hope the author will forgive me, but a good Crapophone has little or no tonearm tracking and should damage records quite readily. I cannot see this quality in the above pictures where the tracking looks to be that of an orthophonic machine. Further a Crapophone should have a horn elbow crudely composed of 2 pieces of metal that, at the join, will quite easily cut you should you brush against it. This and other distinct Crapophone qualities appear to be missing from this machine and perhaps the author should re-think his efforts.



I agree. This is a fake crapophone! :shock: CRUCIFY HIM!!! ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Third and Fourth Crapophones Photos
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:02 pm 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:52 am
Posts: 34
Absolutely! I mean whoever saw a Crapophone with an exponential horn like that.


Last edited by jamiegramo on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Third and Fourth Crapophones Photos
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:00 pm 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:13 pm
Posts: 14
CarlosV wrote:
Interesting, how do they compare to the EMG soundwise?



I compared it with my Expert Senior and EMG Xa with a same soundbox. It is not inferior to them in terms of its volume of the sound and its high and low notes. I should say almost same. If you want to make one, which reproduces almost the same quality sound as EMG or EMGinn Expert without paying so much money, you can do that. It is a lot of fun to make one. I live in Tigard, Oregon, USA. If you are interested in listening to it, you are more than welcome.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Third and Fourth Crapophones Photos
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:32 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:18 am
Posts: 593
Watanabehi wrote:
If you are interested in listening to it, you are more than welcome.

Thanks for the kind invitation, I also have one EMG Xa and one Expert (mine is a Junior), and it is always interesting to listen in person to newly-made horns like yours. I will reach for you next time I travel to your neighborhood. Another member of the forum, emgcr (he resides in England) also produced some very nice horns, made of fiberglass, but I haven't had the opportunity to listen to it in person yet. He posted the process he undertook to build his horns.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Third and Fourth Crapophones Photos
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:34 am 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 am
Posts: 2351
Location: Where there's "hamburger ALL OVER the highway"...
gramophone-georg wrote:
jamiegramo wrote:
Far be it for me to be in disagreement with the learned folks of this forum but I cannot see how this machine really qualifies as a Crapophone. It may be of recent manufacture, and I hope the author will forgive me, but a good Crapophone has little or no tonearm tracking and should damage records quite readily. I cannot see this quality in the above pictures where the tracking looks to be that of an orthophonic machine. Further a Crapophone should have a horn elbow crudely composed of 2 pieces of metal that, at the join, will quite easily cut you should you brush against it. This and other distinct Crapophone qualities appear to be missing from this machine and perhaps the author should re-think his efforts.



I agree. This is a fake crapophone! :shock: CRUCIFY HIM!!! ;)


On the contrary, it is a perfectly honest Frankenphone. Call off your mobs! Put down those torches! ;)

Bill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Third and Fourth Crapophones Photos
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:05 pm 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:13 pm
Posts: 14
Bill,

Thank you for your nice comment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Fourth Hand-made Horn Performances on Youtube
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:41 pm 
Offline
Victor Jr
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:13 pm
Posts: 14
Here are two Youtube Performances of my handmade paper mache gramophone with a 30" diameter horn. It still needs to be improved a lot.

https://youtu.be/43h4pA03l40
https://youtu.be/fI4cSrGYnzk


Watanabehi


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.