Question on Edison A250

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Re: Question on Edison A250

Post by CDBPDX »

rizbone wrote:Also there was a strange wooden box inside, can anyone tell me if it is part of the player, and what it held originally?
Regarding the unusual box you found in your A250, there just happens to be an eBay auction right now that offers one and describes it as an Edison tool box from an Edison A-150. The Connecticut seller seems to know what they're talking about. Might want to contact the seller and find out more about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161338885953

Cliff
Attachments
Edison Box.jpg
Edison Box.jpg (99.54 KiB) Viewed 782 times
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Please forgive my intruding a different A-250 question on the thread, but I'm curious: would the long play add-on gears fit this early model? Or is its "pre-standard" motor too different to accommodate them?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

drh wrote:Please forgive my intruding a different A-250 question on the thread, but I'm curious: would the long play add-on gears fit this early model? Or is its "pre-standard" motor too different to accommodate them?
No, I don't think the long play mechanism could be fitted to the A series motor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Valecnik wrote:
drh wrote:Please forgive my intruding a different A-250 question on the thread, but I'm curious: would the long play add-on gears fit this early model? Or is its "pre-standard" motor too different to accommodate them?
No, I don't think the long play mechanism could be fitted to the A series motor.
I concur; the LP attachment can be added only to the Standardized Mechanism found in post-1914 models.

George P.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

phonogfp wrote:
Valecnik wrote:
I concur; the LP attachment can be added only to the Standardized Mechanism found in post-1914 models.

George P.
Pretty much what I suspected, but had only suspicions. Thanks!