General question about Vic O horns

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

General question about Vic O horns

Post by jboger »

I'm under the impression that the Vic O horn was originally available in one color: peach. I do not know why I think that. I have done a google images search and have seen a few Vic O's with what look to be all-original horns. They were not all the same color, but seemed to be variations on yellow or light brown or maybe peach (whatever that is). Perhaps they were essentially all the same color but the lighting and camera settings were different.

So, was there a range of colors available for the Vic O when made by Victor back in the day?

John

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: General question about Vic O horns

Post by gramophone78 »

jboger wrote:I'm under the impression that the Vic O horn was originally available in one color: peach. I do not know why I think that. I have done a google images search and have seen a few Vic O's with what look to be all-original horns. They were not all the same color, but seemed to be variations on yellow or light brown or maybe peach (whatever that is). Perhaps they were essentially all the same color but the lighting and camera settings were different.

So, was there a range of colors available for the Vic O when made by Victor back in the day?

John
John, This is like deja vu. There is a 5 page thread regarding your Vic O. As mentioned before.....some had mustard yellow with red accents and others were just all mustard yellow. There is no right or wrong.
There was a link I provided that you can zoom in on and get a very good idea of color... ;)

Peach is not the right color.... :).

Also, the original paint(s) used seem to be light sensitive with time. So, you will find a variety of shades. The red tends to fade very fast with light. So again, you will see a variety of shades.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 0&start=40

I made a typo and forgot the "mustard" before on yellow.... :oops:.
Last edited by gramophone78 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Yes, deja vu all over again. I'm struggling with a little bit of knowledge, not complete ignorance. I know for example--or at least I'm pretty sure--that the Standard Model A had only two colors for its horn, either red or a navy blue. Both had a gold trim on the inner edge. Only two original colors and no more. For some reason that I honestly don't know why, I'm stuck with the impression that there was only some sort of yellow color for the Vic O. Now you cite a yellow and a mustard yellow, then state that there is no right or wrong. OK. I hear ya. Now, would a completely bright red horn be wrong for a Vic O? If so, then there are limitations to the original colors that Victor used for this particular model. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm not asking about my particular horn. Yes, I could paint my horn any color that I want. In that sense there's no right or wrong. If the answer to my question is that they originally came in every imaginable color, so be it. But if they only came in one or a few colors, what are they? Are they yellow and mustard yellow? If so, I want someone to hit the nail on the head and say, "Yes, John (you dumb__s), yes, only yellow and mustard yellow."

Sorry for being repetitive.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

jboger wrote:Yes, deja vu all over again. I'm struggling with a little bit of knowledge, not complete ignorance. I know for example--or at least I'm pretty sure--that the Standard Model A had only two colors for its horn, either red or a navy blue. Both had a gold trim on the inner edge. Only two original colors and no more. For some reason that I honestly don't know why, I'm stuck with the impression that there was only some sort of yellow color for the Vic O. Now you cite a yellow and a mustard yellow, then state that there is no right or wrong. OK. I hear ya. Now, would a completely bright red horn be wrong for a Vic O? If so, then there are limitations to the original colors that Victor used for this particular model. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm not asking about my particular horn. Yes, I could paint my horn any color that I want. In that sense there's no right or wrong. If the answer to my question is that they originally came in every imaginable color, so be it. But if they only came in one or a few colors, what are they? Are they yellow and mustard yellow? If so, I want someone to hit the nail on the head and say, "Yes, John (you dumb__s), yes, only yellow and mustard yellow."

Sorry for being repetitive.
John, since you seem to be hinging on every word I wrote.....I corrected my initial reply. I (myself) have always referred the "type of yellow" used on a Vic.O as "mustard yellow". You can call it whatever you wish.... ;). The red that is sometimes found....is more a translucent paint.
I wish you luck on your quest... :).

By the way.....I thought there was also a green horn used on a Standard model A... :?

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

OK, what you are telling me is that Victor did offer it in only one color, call it mustard yellow. I like your point about colors fading over time, so that there will be a range of shades. And, because Victor made more than one batch of this color, there is going to be original variation in color. But whatever the case, it will be some shade of yellow. I'm sure you and other people have been very clear to me on this point. But for some reason it hasn't stuck. I can be a real dumb_ss sometimes.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

jboger wrote:OK, what you are telling me is that Victor did offer it in only one color, call it mustard yellow. I like your point about colors fading over time, so that there will be a range of shades. And, because Victor made more than one batch of this color, there is going to be original variation in color. But whatever the case, it will be some shade of yellow. I'm sure you and other people have been very clear to me on this point. But for some reason it hasn't stuck. I can be a real dumb_ss sometimes.
I think instead of looking at Victor making "more than one batch of paint"....you need to understand the Victor O was made over several years and the whole machine went through many changes (both mechanically & cosmetically).

It was a very inexpensive machine from the start to the finish.

Some say the red dash of paint is found on the earlier made models to attract sales and later omitted to save costs. While others say the red accents came later to keep sales up.
Who knows or really cares. Either way.....there is no right or wrong (as I said). The bottom line is....they "all" look nice... ;).

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I think it's accurate to say that Victor O horns were originally painted in some variation of yellow. When I think of "mustard yellow", I think of a bright 'in your face' yellow. The machines I've seen are a more subtle shade of yellow. Of the machines that have gone through my hands, one had maroon highlights. The other appeared to just be yellow until I removed the elbow and found maroon there. I looked in the crease where the panels meet and could find no traces of maroon on any exposed surfaces. Jerry Blais

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Jerry B. wrote:I think it's accurate to say that Victor O horns were originally painted in some variation of yellow. When I think of "mustard yellow", I think of a bright 'in your face' yellow. The machines I've seen are a more subtle shade of yellow. Of the machines that have gone through my hands, one had maroon highlights. The other appeared to just be yellow until I removed the elbow and found maroon there. I looked in the crease where the panels meet and could find no traces of maroon on any exposed surfaces. Jerry Blais
I have to agree also with Jerry. The yellow in question is more like a "amber" yellow. I just look at it as a nice medium mustard yellow just like I love on my dogs.... :lol: :lol:.

The red, has been referred to as maroon, mahogany, etc... Regardless, it is a red. The red does seem to be translucent.

In fact, I'm of the opinion the red used is the exact red (translucent) paint Victor used on their "red" Junior horns.
Now, this is only a guess. However, it would make perfect sense.

The red seems to be more light sensitive over the yellow. However red, always suffers fading from UV on anything. The same can be said about the yellow. Just not as sensitive.

DrGregC
Victor I

Post by DrGregC »

This is my Victor O. I have been assured it is all original. The horn is perfect and has the original VTM and patent labels. No sign of red accents. My wife says.. mustard yellow!
Attachments
vic0.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

For what it's worth, here's mine;
Attachments
DSC03826.JPG
DSC03826.JPG (134.44 KiB) Viewed 785 times