Tall Tales of the Phono Hobby.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Tall Tales of the Phono Hobby.

Post by Valecnik »

No. 1) Several years ago I went to look at an oak C-19 Chippendale, priced at $350 or so. That was pretty high at the time but the seller explained to me the reason for the high price was that the Diamond Disc reproducer was made from 12 ounces (or whatever one weighs) of "pure gold"! Well gold was about $400 an ounce or more at the time so go figure.... Btw I eventually bought the machine for $200 or something like that. :lol:

No. 2) I went to look at a "transitional" Victor V owned by a "collector", also several years ago before all the books were out. Well this transitional Vic V had a Columbia back bracket & tone arm falling about an inch short of the spindle and a cute little red Columbia horn. The collector explained to me that this one was made towards the end of the run when Victor and Columbia collaborated and shared parts... :lol: I eventually bought that one too but for the value of the parts, not as a "rare end of the line model.

No. 3) ???

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Tall Tales of the Phono Hobby.

Post by Curt A »

No. 3) ???
eBay ads...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Panatropia
Victor II
Personal Text: Forum Fairy....

Post by Panatropia »

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Post by oldphonographsteve »

3. I once went to an antique store and found an album of pristine Victor Patent label Records from about 1912-13. They guy said they were not 78s but were "LPs." We got into a heated debate but I gave up. He also said he had some Blue Amberols but some "hooligan kids stole them so they could buy drugs." :shock: :? :roll:

-Steve :lol:

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

How many of us have come across a dealer that had some old 78's and said that the real rare ones are the opera titles that are only recorded on one side?

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Wow---that's a unique horn mount, for sure. :lol: And you gotta love the RCA Victor label paste-on. This is the real thing, folks! :roll:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Phono-Phan wrote:How many of us have come across a dealer that had some old 78's and said that the real rare ones are the opera titles that are only recorded on one side?
The opposite once happened to me. A prestigious car show had an antiques section among the many stalls, one of which had a number of acoustic operatic 78's for sale at reasonable prices. I bought all of them, and the dealer charged me less for some of them because (and I quote) "they only have one side".

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I bought an Edison home a long time ago from a dealer for $10 and when I was paying her and her husband for it, they told me it was "The damnedest sewing machine that they had ever seen" I didn't argue with them.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Now THAT's funny, Earl... 'sewing machine'... Did they play "When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob Bob Bobbin Along?"

I once had a dealer try to sell me a late Victrola suitcase portable. His very emphatic selling tactic-- "It's from 1845, one of the first ones that Edison ever made." When I pointed out a 1921 patent date on it, he said-- "Well that's what the guy I bought it from said." :)

Brad Abell

Panatropia
Victor II
Personal Text: Forum Fairy....

Post by Panatropia »

Damned curious thing about antique autos and phonographs. One memory I treasure above rubies.....
Years ago I was down to Hershey. Selling antique auto parts. Perhaps buying a car or two; browsing the stalls.
I encounter a 4 clip suitcase Standard, being vended by the most "Deliverance" looking hillbillies I've ever encountered. Selling out of a rusty, dented old Divco milk truck.

To the best of my memory, the following exchange occurred between us.....
"How much is the phonograph?"
"You meant that record player there?"
"No, dammit. The phonograph; I want a phonograph, not a record player."
"Well Sir, it's like new."
"I want an old one...how much?"
"Two hunnerd. And it's got scrolls with it."
"That's too bad, I was hoping it had some tubes to play."
"Well, whatever the hell it is it's two hunnerd bucks."
"I'll give you one fifty just to get rid of me."
"Huh??"
"Ok, you win, I'll split the difference with you."
(Animated chattering amongst themselves)
"Well, ok. Gimme 125 a take it away."

Still have the machine.