VV 4-7

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: VV 4-7

Post by CharliePhono »

gramophone-georg wrote:
CharliePhono wrote:Hi folks. I have a chance to pick up a very clean VV 4-7 with probably 25 pristine Vic. Scroll records (mostly jazz) for $250. Case is nice, back bracket intact, and, believe it or not, the soundbox is intact without cracks or crazing. I've been trying to search past posts about these machines on the forum and am coming up completely dry. Is there another way to search? I know at some point in the past a member posted a pic of a 4-7 horn (at least I think it was a 4-7). Any thoughts about the price? Seems fair, as the last time I saw one of these in good shape was close to 10 years ago when I lived in New England. Also, will it sound better - obviously with proper maintenance/component rebuilding and sealing - than my 4-3? I know it has the folded horn. Thanks for any advice.
Three words:

JUMP. ON. IT.

You lucky dog...
Jumping! <ribbit>

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

52089 wrote:
CharliePhono wrote:Hi folks. I have a chance to pick up a very clean VV 4-7 with probably 25 pristine Vic. Scroll records (mostly jazz) for $250. Case is nice, back bracket intact, and, believe it or not, the soundbox is intact without cracks or crazing. I've been trying to search past posts about these machines on the forum and am coming up completely dry. Is there another way to search? I know at some point in the past a member posted a pic of a 4-7 horn (at least I think it was a 4-7). Any thoughts about the price? Seems fair, as the last time I saw one of these in good shape was close to 10 years ago when I lived in New England. Also, will it sound better - obviously with proper maintenance/component rebuilding and sealing - than my 4-3? I know it has the folded horn. Thanks for any advice.
Use Google to search the board for "4-7". Instructions here:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ite+search

The 4-7 is not a whole lot larger than the 4-3, so don't expect anything drastic. The price is perfectly fair for a very clean machine in working order.
Thanks for the search tip, 52089. No, I wasn't expecting EMG-quality reproduction; I've owned one of these before, but it was a long time ago and long before I do the things I now do to my machines to ensure they sound as good as they can. I was thinking the range might be a smidge better than the 4-3.

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

OrthoFan wrote:
CharliePhono wrote:Hi folks. I've been trying to search past posts about these machines on the forum and am coming up completely dry. Is there another way to search?

This post string was pretty comprehensive, and shows the horn in detail -- http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=27109

Normally, I use google to search this forum. To search only for information on a specific forum, you have to do a site search, starting with "site:" and the URL of the webpage or site. So searching this forum, you go to google and type:

site:forum.talkingmachine.info "VV-4-7" OR Victrola "4-7"

(using OR -- in caps -- between words will force Google to search for one term or another. Putting a term in quotation marks forces Google to search for only that exact term.)

Another option is to use the Google Advanced Search page, which provides more options:

https://www.google.com/advanced_search (Type the site's URL in the box next to Site or Domain.)

HTH,
OrthoFan
Thank you, OrthoFan. Google it is going forward. I've been aware of the search deficiencies on the forum for awhile, which left me scratching my head.

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

Just a few quick pics of the 4-7 (no claims to be a photographer). Just got it into the house and am going to let it "rest" in its new climate (no AC). I am very pleased. The cabinet just needs a cleaning and polishing (cover some odd scrapes here and there with tint, etc.). Everything is straight and intact and - again - amazed that the pot metal is seemingly very stable. Just finished inspecting the soundbox, and there's nary a crack or craze to it. You'll note from one of the pics the pin in the tone arm support needs adusting/reinsertion into the tone arm, but the tone arm is going to have to come out anyway for cleaning and sealing. It also came with the original dealer record brush and two packages of needles, also with the Fresno dealer logo. According to the shop manager, this machine was purchased in, and lived its entire life (until now) in a Clovis, CA home. The records are like new. Since my BD is just around the corner, I'm calling this my gift to me :P Can't wait to get it up and running. Going to have Wyatt do his magic to the soundbox. Will report back soon! Thanks again to the good forum members. Any further insights always appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG

Hit of the Week
Victor I

Post by Hit of the Week »

Nice machine! I'm betting that machine was rarely played!

Iowa Dale

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

Hit of the Week wrote:Nice machine! I'm betting that machine was rarely played!

Iowa Dale
Thanks, Dale! It's hard to say, but you may be right that it was a lightly-used machine. It's great when one can know the history of a machine as regards ownership, but failing that, it's fun to speculate!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

marcapra wrote:I'm surprised you didn't get any returns on your search because I just mentioned the beautiful 4-7 that sold at the APS show last weekend. But the same thing happens to me when I search on this website. I search for things I know are in here, but often come up empty. And other times it comes up with way too much and it's difficult to narrow a search down on this site. It just doesn't work.

Searching for such Victor model brings up zero results. 8-9, 8-30, etc., all the same.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

JerryVan wrote:
marcapra wrote:I'm surprised you didn't get any returns on your search because I just mentioned the beautiful 4-7 that sold at the APS show last weekend. But the same thing happens to me when I search on this website. I search for things I know are in here, but often come up empty. And other times it comes up with way too much and it's difficult to narrow a search down on this site. It just doesn't work.

Searching for such Victor model brings up zero results. 8-9, 8-30, etc., all the same.
This is very annoying, yes. Especially when people constantly bark "use the search function!" This is a setting that can be changed in the phpBB code but I don't have file-level access to the forum. When searching for something like "4-7", the query ignores the dash and considered "4" and "7" to be "too common" and therefore no match in the database is made, even though it does exist.

Google is a great way to search the forum until this is fixed. Search engines are crawling this site constantly and new content usually shows up in google the same day. The google query for "4-7" would be this:

site:talkingmachine.info 4-7

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:ta ... e.info+4-7