Edison Diamond Disc A-400

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
schweg
Victor III

Edison Diamond Disc A-400

Post by schweg »

A few years back, I was happy to find an Edison Diamond Disc A-375 at auction. I saw this latest acquisition, an A-400, at auction so decided to drive there for yesterday's auction. It was a healthy drive, but considering the target of my quest, I thought it worthwhile. As usual, it was sold right near the end of the day, and so I didn't arrive home til the wee hours, but I think it was worth it. Frow's diamond disc book states that these were only made for a few months, and most likely less than one hundred machines were produced.

These are pictures of the machine as it appeared at the auction. I have a busy week at work ahead, so will not be able to even dust it before the weekend. The pictures show it in as found condition, which other than dust, really is not too bad. As stated in a post not long ago, there are still machines surfacing, so keep on looking!

Steve
a4005.JPG
a4001.JPG
a4002.JPG
a4003.JPG
a4004.JPG

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Diamond Disc A-400

Post by phonogfp »

Beautiful, Steve! An extremely rare model, and it looks to be in pretty good condition. Congratulations! :)

George P.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Awesome find, I look forward to seeing her after she's been cleaned up and playing again.
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

AMAZING!!!! What a fantastic find and purchase. The condition is incredible, even in its dusty state. I too, will be anxiously awaiting your photos after clean up. It is a beautiful Edison machine and another great survivor! Thanks for sharing! Steve Levi

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

I love that lid. I'm not usually an Edison fan, but that is something special.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Stunning! Jerry B.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

An incredible machine, all the more incredible because that highly carved grill is 99% complete!

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

It's hard to imagine that a A400 could be neglected and waiting discovery for so long. This is like finding a classic Cord auto in a barn. I know it can happen, but rare discovery's like this are very exciting and it gives hope to those of us who wish to someday own a rare and beautiful machine. I doubt it came cheep, but it was worth every penny. Thanks for the posting and please consider adding it to the Featured Phonographs section of the forum, (once it's cleaned up).
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Congratulations Steve! A worthy addition to any collection.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

WOW!!! Great find. Keep us all posted on the progress of cleaning it up.