My find of the day

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OldRestorer
Victor III

My find of the day

Post by OldRestorer »

I hath returned from my pick.
I went to South Orange, NJ and swooped up a good amount of stuff. I purchased an Edison Diamond disc A-100 Phonograph and a case full of Edison DD records. Unfortunately the DD's are not what I really like. I also got a really great Columbia reproducer! It is in very good condition.

I need a grill so if anyonehas one to spare please let me know. I know there is one on eBay but I figured I would try here and on the Facebook group.
I also still need that Gem horn :)

Kirk
Attachments
IMG_6394.JPG
IMG_6394.JPG (115.62 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
IMG_6393.JPG
IMG_6393.JPG (112 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
IMG_6376.JPG
IMG_6375.JPG
IMG_6374.JPG
IMG_6373.JPG
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: My find of the day

Post by alang »

Congratulations! I love the A-100, especially in the dark oak. That reproducer is interesting. It is nearly identical to the Edison P-1 reproducer that Wyatt rebuilt in this thread http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=28121. I have an unmarked version of the same reproducer, but I did not know that Columbia used it as well. They all have different face plates, but otherwise seem identical.

Andreas

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

What Andreas said. The P-1 portable was made for Edison by Birch, so it wouldn't surprise me if Birch also made machines and/or reproducers for other companies too. Having said that, I have never seen the Columbia version shown here before.

The A-100 looks like it will clean up quite well. The speed control and oiling decals make it a relatively early machine, probably no later than 1915 or 1916. Enjoy!

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

52089 wrote:
The A-100 looks like it will clean up quite well. The speed control and oiling decals make it a relatively early machine, probably no later than 1915 or 1916. Enjoy!

Looking forward to seeing the A-100 cleaned up. The oak should look great. And in case you didn't know the grill looks to be a replacement, or am I wrong. Here's a picture of the grill below I found off the internet.
Attachments
a-100.jpg
a-100.jpg (6.83 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
Last edited by DGPros on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

That will sure look rite purty all cleaned up. Bill K

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Yes,,, I have the same machine and that looks like a homemade grille. I've seen the correct grilles on EBay from time to time.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Yes, That is why I am looking for an original grill. I should probably make a separate post in the Wanted's...

Here she is all cleaned up.

I do not know why the pics keep doing the sideways thing!
Attachments
IMG_6419.JPG
IMG_6417.JPG
IMG_6416.JPG
IMG_6415.JPG
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

NICE A-100, it cleaned up well! Good luck on your search for correct grill and lid prop. That said, I think the grill that came with machine is very presentable until you obtain an original. A-100 is a good Edison Diamond Disc machine. Steve Levi

Dedrums
Victor O
Personal Text: phonographs are like potato chips you can't just have one

Post by Dedrums »

Nice find Kirk she cleaned up nice. Hey if you want to get rid of the dds send me a pm
Chris

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Does anyone know what the name of the finish is on this A-100 other than just saying "Dark oak"? Is this Mission Oak or Fumed Oak? Does anyone know? And what is the difference between fumed and Mission oak?