Reproduction 4m Cylinders: How do they stack up?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Reproduction 4m Cylinders: How do they stack up?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Question:

As a collector and a music fan I think it's cool to have new records available for an old machine. Ever since I heard of modern cylinders a few years ago I've been very interested in the how and why of a resin record.

For those who have sampled them, who makes the best replica resin cylinders nowadays? Vulcan, or Edisonia? If you like a special brand, tell why--this could be neat.

(Settles back for popcorn.) :)

Let the games begin!

MTPhono
Victor III

Re: Reproduction 4m Cylinders: How do they stack up?

Post by MTPhono »

I've got quite a few new cylinders from Wizard, Paul Morris, Edisonia, Berlin Phono Works and Vulcan. I prefer any of the indestructible offerings to vintage cylinder records because I dont feel that I have to worry about them (AND they sound GREAT!). There are so many great titles and I especially like the brown wax, Famous Voice and Pink Lambert reproductions from Vulcan that I would likely never own otherwise. We are lucky to have indestructible records of this quality. I rarely buy vintage cylinders anymore.

Scott

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

I have several Edisonia and Vulcan cylinders, and also have been picking up the GLPGS Master Series cylinders from the City of London Phonograph and Gramophone Society as they are released. All are well done and seem to wear well.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

I've been buying repro cylinders since Electrophone came out with the original Red "Beach Ball" records 30 years ago. The red records unfortunately lacked stability and have shrunk considerably in length, circumference, as well as groove depth causing them to have diminished sound output. I haven't yet found that the newer style records to have that same instability. The people who have prepared and produced these records have done a great job as they play with the same if not better output as when they were new. I have roughly 5-6 dozen of these records in my collection and play them regularly with great enjoyment. I collect many of the different style original celluloid records and find the only ones that have the greatest stability are the Edison BA's. The Indestructibles and Everlastings unfortunately didn't live up to their names as most of them have suffered varying amounts of shrinkage over the years causing playback problems. It is hard to find one that hasn't shrunk. That was not a problem when I started collecting over 50 years ago when there was no perceivable shrinkage at that time. All I can say to the guys who are producing these records is to keep up the good work and hopefully they will last as long if not longer than the originals.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Okay--
Thanks for the advice!

I can't find the old Electrophone/Wizard records anywhere but can, of course, get Vulcans & Edisonias at any time I happen to have some extra cash handy. Gosh they're expensive but it sounds like you get what you pay for!

Thanks a lot.

victorthesixth
Victor I

Post by victorthesixth »

Are there any modern machines designed to let one put modern music onto cylinders or shellac 78 records. Thanks

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

I have about 100 reproduction cylinders which consists of Vulcan, Berlin, Edisonia and some from City if London Phono Society.
They are all well made and play amazingly well. While I agree, they are not cheap, but they are worth it to get great titles on a hard wearing cylinder. Since I started buying reproductions, I have sold all my wax cylinders and no longer buy wax.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

victorthesixth wrote:Are there any modern machines designed to let one put modern music onto cylinders or shellac 78 records. Thanks
Yes, there have been several mostly custom-made solutions to this problem, pickups and players. Christer Hamp has gathered them over many years and his list keeps growing: http://www.christerhamp.se/phono/

Btw. wouldn't it be better to have this thread in the Music section?

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

WDC is too modest to tell you that not only are his cylinder reproductions most excellent but they are often copies of cylinders that are selling to upwards of $1400, in some cases. Berlin Phonoworks, highly recommended labors of love.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

billybob62 wrote:WDC is too modest to tell you that not only are his cylinder reproductions most excellent but they are often copies of cylinders that are selling to upwards of $1400, in some cases. Berlin Phonoworks, highly recommended labors of love.
I totally agree.