On top of a garbage can - a first for me !

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

On top of a garbage can - a first for me !

Post by briankeith »

On my way back from lunch today - take a look what I found sitting on top of a garbage can in Bangor Pa. A first for me, finding a thrown out talking machine in the trash :o :o
Attachments
23622498_10213269732651338_6567229415299192268_n.jpg

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: On top of a garbage can - a first for me !

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Score! Looks complete and should clean up pretty nicely.

In this case, someone else's stupidity was your good fortune....

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

It must have been clean up - tons of stuff out on the curb. A quick look and the crank just spins around so we will see what it needs :D

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

It still surprises me, in this day and age, when people can get something for a nice antique that they would just throw it away! On the other hand, sometimes people ask too much for an item that is not worth it. I guess it's a double edge sword.

But, I agree, it should clean up, and I'm sure the motor will be easy to get running!

Good luck with it!

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Post by Victor A »

Congratulations! I've often found 78s for free out on the curb, but never a full-fledged Grafonola! :lol:
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Congratulations! I'm glad you got it before some kids spotted it and smashed it just for the hell of it.

That reminds me of something I read, possibly going back over 30 years ago. It was either published in the "New Amberola Graphic," or "The Antique Phonograph Monthly" -- both long gone. Someone came across a Vic. V in working condition, and fitted with an oak horn, at their local dump. Apparently it was just sitting on a pile of trash. Needless to say, it quickly found a new home.

OrthoFan

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Looks like a 1913-'14 "Jewel", Columbia's $35 machine.

Nice little 2-spring machine.

Good grab !
De Soto Frank

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Nice find.

I suspect someone will soon create a thread where they describe how they left a Columbia machine unattended next to a trash can for a few minutes, came back and it was gone...
Vince
Youtube

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Mr Grumpy wrote:Nice find.

I suspect someone will soon create a thread where they describe how they left a Columbia machine unattended next to a trash can for a few minutes, came back and it was gone...
It was 30 minutes when they went to the rest room. :lol: :lol: Anyway that is a good find and a once in a life time opportunity. Probably thrown out because it would not crank. I have read a couple of instances of people finding discarded phonographs that people did not want. One was a horned machine complete with horn. It was called a crown. Tom B

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

tomb wrote:
Mr Grumpy wrote:Nice find.

It was 30 minutes when they went to the rest room. :lol: :lol: Anyway that is a good find and a once in a life time opportunity. Probably thrown out because it would not crank. I have read a couple of instances of people finding discarded phonographs that people did not want. One was a horned machine complete with horn. It was called a crown. Tom B
Actually it was more like 10 to 15 minutes while I went to locate the buyer at a phonograph show, leaving the machine by the monitored entry area nowhere near a trash can or bathroom. So I really don’t see any comparison, nor the humor in what was essentially a theft. But whatever, lol, right?