Union Advice For The First Time Attendee

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Union Advice For The First Time Attendee

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

This upcoming show will be our second time to attend. We are wondering who has suggestions for a good place to stay near the show. We tried the Super 8 last time and it is all right, but want some other ideas.

Thanks,
Don and Carolyn

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

We stay in Woodstock but you might also try Crystal Lake, Huntley, or Marengo. There's a large group that stay in Elgin. Jerry Blais

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

For those somewhere along the Union IL to South FL path, Mike Patella may be able to help. He has a box truck and is usually able to take on additional items in either direction. He sets up at the show and brings all the packing and moving materials. He has moved all my stuff back and forth for a number of years, with nary a scratch. He is fair with his pricing, and very accommodating.

Raphael

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I have found that you can stack horns with big plastic garbage bags between them. I have used two bags between horns to give extra protection. I start with smaller horns and work towards larger horns. It's really easy and provides great protection. You can get a bunch of horns in a small space. Jerry Blais

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I thought it would be a good idea to revisit this thread. I will edit the date to reflect the 2018 date. I'd love to see other posts with additional suggestions for a good Union experience.

Thanks, Jerry Blais

I can't edit my aged post. I'll see if Brandon can do that.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Jerry,
Thanks for continuing the thread. There are several new forum members who might benefit from a brief orientation to the hobby and the show if they attend. Perhaps a short seminar could be arranged for new collectors.
Don

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

I myself have been a little disappointed with the Wayne N.J. show - too many radios, tee shirts, coffee mugs, and not phonograph related stuff. Just my take as I live very close to Wayne and attend every year. But it's changing.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Here's some perspective you can file in the FWIW drawer.

I've been going to Union for maybe 30 years now. Last year I heard comments like, "It's not like it used to be", "There's nothing in there", "The good stuff has all been found years ago", etc. If you were there for the first time, you'd be a bit deflated to hear that. I certainly was depressed to hear that too..... 30 years ago, when I went there for the first time! It's hilarious really. Therefore, my advice is, don't listen to whiners! They show up every year. It's always an incredible show, with way more to see and to learn, than you can imagine. I have never done the early bird admission either, (not that it's a bad idea), it's just that even on Saturday, there's WAY more stuff than I can hope to buy anyway. Probably cheapskate logic I'll admit. Go, have fun, and don't miss visiting Sanfilipo's collection Saturday evening.

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

and be prepared to see hundreds and hundreds of phono...

Vince
Youtube

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

He's back... (Thanks Grumpy guy. :lol: )