info on Tru Phonic please

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
doc612
Victor Jr

info on Tru Phonic please

Post by doc612 »

New member here, call me Doc. I am a tube radio restorer with over 100 radios in my collection. Now someone has given me a Silvertone Tru-phonic hand crank phonograph. Great- another hobby! I can't find any info on this phonograph so if someone can help with tips on repair of the motor I would be appreciative. Just point me in the right direction. Thanks! Sorry- I can't seem to fix the photo orientation.
tru 1.jpg
tru 2.jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: info on Tru Phonic please

Post by gramophone-georg »

Silvertone was a Sears brand and they are fine machines. "Tru- Phonic" was their answer to the Victor Orthophonic, the Edisonic, and Columbia Viva Tonal- meant for higher fidelity and designed to play the new Electric records. Looks like a really nice one and no doubt rare.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

You'll find that the board's search capability will help tremendously. Most basic questions have been asked and answered many times already. If you're interested in repairs, a book called "The Compleat Talking Machine" will walk you through the most common things.

That's a fine looking machine. I hope you enjoy it, and remember to only use each needle once!

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Very nice machine! With the motor, if it runs fine then I'd just add a drop or two of sewing machine oil on the various points of the motor. You want to hit on either side of the governor and at the base of the spindle. If it doesn't run, or makes thumping sounds while running, you may need to re-grease the springs. I'm sure others are more experienced and they could give you detail instructions on how to do that. I barely know how to do it myself :lol:. If it doesn't wind at all, or doesn't gain resistance as you wind, you may have a broken or detached spring. And if you end up needing any parts, Ron Sitko is your guy.

Greg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Some of the Tru-Phonic models sound quite good. This one seems to have about the same size horn as your model -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L10M8mJ65TM

OrthoFan

doc612
Victor Jr

Post by doc612 »

Thanks to all who replied. I have filed away the name of Ron Sitko, I will order "The compleat Talking Machine", and the motor does not gain resistance as it is wound so I have already disassembled it and am ready to take apart the 2 spring barrel. Think I'll wait for the book! As to the tip on only using the needle once, I have always heard that- but I got a box of needles with the player and on the box it says each needle can be used 10 times. Special needles or just bad advertising?

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Companies used all sorts of claims back then. It will play your records 10 times, but how much of a record will you have left :lol:? I use them just once, maybe twice. That's good practice if you decide to start collecting records.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

doc612 wrote:Thanks to all who replied. I have filed away the name of Ron Sitko, I will order "The compleat Talking Machine", and the motor does not gain resistance as it is wound so I have already disassembled it and am ready to take apart the 2 spring barrel. Think I'll wait for the book! As to the tip on only using the needle once, I have always heard that- but I got a box of needles with the player and on the box it says each needle can be used 10 times. Special needles or just bad advertising?
Most of the needles that claim 10 or more plays were designed for use in lighter weight electric pickups. Using them in heavy acoustic reproducers is not a great idea.

There are needles that last longer in acoustic reproducers. Most of them have tungsten as a major component. Search the board for "tunsgtone", "tungstyle", and "everplay" and you'll find some examples.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

That us a much nicer than average TruPhonic- excellent!

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

You have a Sears Silvertone Argyle! Here are photos from my reprint of the 1927 Sears catalog. You can see the Imperial above was intended to look like/compete with Victor's Credenza, which was arguably the king of acoustic phonographs at the time. Nice cabinet design! Yours is missing the little decorative finial on the center of the leg stretchers. Not a big deal. Cabinet looks great.

I love Sears Tru-Phonic stuff. If possible, can you post a photo of the reproducer? I've wondered about the different styles. I think there were two Tru-Phonic ones, the one with the dogwood flower cover and a plainer one. I've owned a few with the dogwood flower style reproducer and I think they sound very good. They really shine when playing acoustic records of the early 1920s, in my opinion (Paul Whiteman batwings are very lively on these). They also play electrics well, but I think the design shows a nice middle-of-the-road approach.
Attachments
argyle1.jpg
argyle2.jpg
Last edited by Jwb88 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.