Question about weight at the tip of a steel needle

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Question about weight at the tip of a steel needle

Post by Lucius1958 »

GrafonolaG50 wrote:I've heard the phrase "Baldwin steak locomotive" used on here in regards to needle/stylus pressure.

I recognize the typo; but the mental image of "steak locomotive" has me laughing... :lol:

Bill

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

Lucius1958 wrote:
GrafonolaG50 wrote:I've heard the phrase "Baldwin steak locomotive" used on here in regards to needle/stylus pressure.

I recognize the typo; but the mental image of "steak locomotive" has me laughing... :lol:

Bill

Android autocorrect can eat a pack of steel needles.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

An interesting metric, considering that Baldwin made steam locomotives from little 0-4-0 saddle-tank "plant locomotives" all the way up to the huge Mallet and Yellowstone articulated locos used by the B&O and C&O RR's to drag coal out of W VA... ;)

Here at Steamtown National Historic Site, in Scranton, PA, we have BLW # 26, an 0-6-0 switcher, with a slope-back tender that was a switcher at Baldwin's Eddystone works.

She's fresh on her feet again after a major rebuild.

:coffee:
De Soto Frank

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

De Soto Frank wrote:An interesting metric, considering that Baldwin made steam locomotives from little 0-4-0 saddle-tank "plant locomotives" all the way up to the huge Mallet and Yellowstone articulated locos used by the B&O and C&O RR's to drag coal out of W VA... ;)

Here at Steamtown National Historic Site, in Scranton, PA, we have BLW # 26, an 0-6-0 switcher, with a slope-back tender that was a switcher at Baldwin's Eddystone works.

She's fresh on her feet again after a major rebuild.

:coffee:
This is what I just read:
Μια ενδιαφέρουσα μέριμνα, δεδομένου ότι ο Baldwin έκανε ατμομηχανές από μικρές μηχανές έλξης 0-4-0 "μέχρι τις τεράστιες αρθρωτές θέσεις Mallet και Yellowstone που χρησιμοποιούσαν οι B & O και C & O RR για να τραβήξουν άνθρακα από την W VA ...;)

Εδώ στο Εθνικό Ιστορικό Χώρο Steamtown, στο Scranton, PA, έχουμε BLW # 26, έναν μεταγωγέα 0-6-0, με προσφορά κλίσης πίσω που ήταν ένας μετασχηματιστής στα έργα του Eddystone του Baldwin.

Είναι φρέσκα στα πόδια της και πάλι μετά από μια μεγάλη ανοικοδόμηση.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

You want tzatziki sauce with that Steak locomotive? ;)
De Soto Frank

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

No, sadly. I've found that it tends to give me locomotive breath when i have it that way.

- Jethro

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

:mrgreen:
De Soto Frank

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Orchorsol wrote:In their advertising circa 1930, BCN (Burmese Colour Needle Co.) claimed 12 tons per square inch (Imperial tons), which is 13.44 US tons per square inch.

Earl H's source above (44000 lbs) is 19.64 Imperial tons or 22 US tons per square inch.

Wow!
When I got my first disc machine as a kid I seem to remember my father saying 12 tons per square inch was the force of the needle on the record.

Or maybe it was the force of one of his girlfriends stiletto's on the sidewalk? (girlfriends is plural) :-) So my phonograph was not the only player!