Melodia portable phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Melodia portable phonograph

Post by audiophile102 »

jboger wrote:You ask whether to restore or leave it alone. "Restore" means to put it back in some previous, earlier condition. What earlier condition are you trying to restore it to? Are you trying to make it look new? That's impossible. Or are you trying to make it appear used but well maintained? The latter you already have. So perhaps preservation or conservation are better words to describe what to do with this machine. If that's the original surface, leave it alone and appreciate the wear and tear that humanity had inflicted on this machine while it gave pleasure to them. Your its curator for the next generation.
I couldn't say it better myself. I agree wholeheartedly with everything jboger posted. I wish everyone had the same insight about antiques.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Thanks everyone,
I say restore defined as "returned to or as close to factory specs". A full rebuild of the mech and a full dismantle/strip/tone/decal/lacquer/pumice/rott/wax for the cabinet.
The finish is so flakey that it cant be re-flowed. There is no good way to save the finish but it CAN easily be "preserved". I don't mind blemishes, small stains, scratches, dents, and such but when there is bare wood I don't like to leave it.

I think I will leave it for now and ponder it. I mostly bought it for the fun of the restoration. I did not think it was going to be that easy to fix, :lol:
I never get this lucky!
It will most likely go to the Wayne show with the other pieces I am clearing out if I dont decide to refinish the cabinet.

The name mentioned for the decal. Is he a respected source for reproduction decals? I have a guy who makes all mine and does amazing work but he is in Brazil. I have never been charged more than $30.00 for any custom graphic by him.

Thanks again,
Kirk
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Neat machine!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.