Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JFM19
Victor Jr

New and Hello

Post by JFM19 »

SDC17857.JPG
SDC17857.JPG
SDC17856.JPG
Just registered here although I have been reading the posts for a while now and learned much. While this is a collectors' forum, I would not call myself a collector. I have a single machine, but one that has personal significance. And I decided to tell the story seeing period references to machines made into bookcases and liquor cabinets. The machine I'm speaking of came to me that way. But it once was a machine, and one that my grandparents purchased new in 1926 - a Victor Credenza, which sat in the corner of their house through two generations until it came to me. But all it was during the time I was around was a cabinet...or more particularly a non working record player. An uncle had decided to "upgrade" it in the 1940s, striped it out and put in an electric turntable, from which he ran wires into a console radio. Whether that actually ever worked is unknown. I never heard it play. Some 30 or more years ago I was in a museum in New England, walked into one of the rooms and featured there was the cabinet like the one in my grandparents' home. But this was a working Credenza. I asked the curator about it and he would it up and put on a 78. The sound amazed me and planted a seed. Periodically I wondered whether it would ever be possible to return that cabinet, which was really almost pristine, back to what it was. But I considered it to be impossible. Then last summer my daughter purchased a VV-IX at a yard sale, and seeing that machine working started me on a quest. Finding information was initially a bit difficult. I was really working off pictures and diagrams found on the internet, including here. I initially thought I would try to build a horn myself, even though I realized it might be a poor substitute. I even picked up some things to attempt that. Fortunately in my searches for information I found George Vollema. And telling him of my plan, I found he could provide a correct horn. So a round trip of over 9 hours was scheduled to go out and get it...far too large to ship an any reasonable cost. And knowing George proved invaluable to my efforts, as I got a few other things from him, including the grill frame which he kindly brought with him while vacationing in my area a bit later. But beyond that, his advise on the process of rebuilding the sound box was above and beyond (without which I would still be crawling on the floor looking for tiny ball bearings.) So with installation of the horn into the old cabinet, some woodworking to recreate the top board for the platter, tonearm, etc. cleaning and repacking the motor springs (a most interest process)and some trial and error that had be bothering George, as well as a lot in information from reading the posts here, my grandparents' Victrola is back. Now any purist looking at this Credenza would likely be able to point to this and that as "not right." And a few of those "not rights" were actually deliberate, while others undoubtedly due to me own limitations. But that would not really matter to me. The goal was to realize that thought that came to me when I first heard a Credenza playing decades ago, and to return a Victrola that was my grandparents machine and undoubtedly a very major investment for them as they were hardly rich, to a working machine: maybe not a perfect restoration at all, but a rather good replication. And one more bookcase or liquor cabinet saved and brought back to what it was intended to me. And, by the way, it plays beautifully.SDC17856.JPG

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Re: New and Hello

Post by DGPros »

First off, WELCOME. Second, nice job in resurrecting your piece. I know I would love to see some pictures, a sort of before and after, if this is possible. Third, be careful, this hobby can get quite addicting, especially if you like to take things apart, and put them back in working order. :coffee:
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

"While this is a collectors' forum, I would not call myself a collector. I have a single machine, but one that has personal significance."
Welcome, and nice machine. In the past I have not considered myself a collector as much as an enthusiast. Over the years I have had between 1 and 5 machines most of the time. In the last 10 years that has gone up to my present count of 30 something, so I guess that I have to consider myself somewhat of a collector now. Either way, you don't have to be a collector as much as you have to simply have an interest, so welcome and thank you for sharing your story and for saving a machine from repurposing.

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Welcome also from me.

That is a wonderful story and I really enjoyed reading it. You must be pleased to A. own a machine with such a strong personal connection . B. have jumped right off the deep end and succeeded in not only not drowning but learning several complicated strokes! and, C. having a really nice high-end desirable machine.

I started with one [a much simpler VV-80] and went through a similar process of internet searching, reading this forum etc. to restore mine.

That was to be my one and only machine ... why in heavens name would I need another!?

that was 6 machines ago :) :)

Beware!

Darrell

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Great story and nice machine... I would love to have a family piece like yours.

Welcome to the enablers Forum...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

...And another welcome...! :)

You were fortunate to find George Vollema early on in your project. Knowing the "right people" can make all the difference.

Congratulations on resurrecting a family phonograph. Like others here, I have a fairly sizeable collection (100+), but no machines from my family, and no hope of ever having one. I'm sure you and your descendants will cherish that Credenza for a long time to come. :)

George P.

JFM19
Victor Jr

Post by JFM19 »

Thank you all for the welcomes and the kind words. I guess I have become an enthusiast as I find myself reading posts here on other machines with interest. Yes...I was very fortunate indeed to have connected with George Vollema. The guy is truly a great person, as knowledgeable as they come on the subject, and more than generous with information. I think I may have bothered him more than I should have, but he always took the time to help me move ahead. If there is ever a Phonograph Hero Hall of Fame, he's in. I do have some photos taken along the road on this project and will find and post them. The cabinet itself will not show much difference as it was always well kept. The center of it and the inner top were totally gone when I finally got to it though. But the photos may give an idea of the project. And I have no doubt that this one will go down to a fourth generation as my daughter has always cherished that cabinet even before the project, and has a Victor VV-IX of her own, as mentioned. And when I get to cleaning and relubing the springs on hers, as I had promised, I may be bothering George again. Finally, sorry for screwing up the initial post with photos coming on first. Not a techie at age 66 so I just do as best as I can on these computers.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

You have done a fine job in saving a family heirloom. I have a suggestion you might consider. Every so often someone sells a credenza motor board. You might find one a a reasonable price. Also the rest of the missing parts can be found with patience and ebay searches. You have already done so much to save your Victrola so you might think it's too much effort to continue and you would probably be right. I would do it if it was mine just for the fun of the hunt and the satisfaction of reaching the goal of a complete restoration. The Yankee Trader section of the forum is always a great resource, but remember you must be patient in order to find all you need. I own two machines and I'm always looking for missing parts or accessories to add to my interest in the hobby. The Victor record company recorded some great music for the credenza. Look for the scroll and VE on the record label. I don't have an orthophonic machine, but my favorite records are VE's because they sound great even when played on my non-orthophonic machine. :)
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Welcome! I have to repeat that which has already been said here: congratulations, thank you for sharing your wonderful story, and for doing as you have.

I hope you and your daughter both enjoy your heritage for many years to come.

Best,
Fran

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Also Welcome!

You have a machine with something I prize very much: its history. The fact that it belonged to your family all that time makes it even better. By documenting what happened and what you have done, you have kept its history intact. I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment!

Regards,
Martin