Silvertone Imperial c1927 ish

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CMac1974
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Record, Machines, Records, Machines.... Decisions Decisions!

Silvertone Imperial c1927 ish

Post by CMac1974 »

Just wanted to share the progress on my Silvertone Imperial machine. Just need to get the motor up and running and we'll be good as new. As I reassembled the pieces today.
Attachments
All closed up, only thing left missing is the knob for the left door.
All closed up, only thing left missing is the knob for the left door.
032307.jpg
All 4 doors back on.
All 4 doors back on.
Grille back in place.
Grille back in place.
I washed the velvet in the sink with dish detergent and used a blow dryer to dry it.  I had gooey greasy stuff all over it.
I washed the velvet in the sink with dish detergent and used a blow dryer to dry it. I had gooey greasy stuff all over it.
032303.jpg
032302.jpg
Some think the horn is too pretty to cover up.
Some think the horn is too pretty to cover up.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Silvertone Imperial c1927 ish

Post by phonogfp »

What a great looking machine! :)

Nice job on that turntable velveteen.

George P.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

You are right about that beautiful horn. Is that record storage under the horn???Tom

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

This sort of mimics the Credenza. It seems that other manufacturers had similar styles. Does this machine have a re-entrant horn? Nice machine and a beautiful restoration job.
Harvey Kravitz

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I love it. Often I see them and the arms are swollen and won't turn and the reproducers are cracked. Is yours all functional? It goes nicely in your home what I can see of it. Seems like a rather unusual horn pattern as well.

In looking again at the photos the arm assembly appears to be in very good shape, I wonder if its metal or pot metal?

CMac1974
Victor Jr

Post by CMac1974 »

phonogfp wrote:What a great looking machine! :)

Nice job on that turntable velveteen.

George P.
Thanks George

CMac1974
Victor Jr

Post by CMac1974 »

tomb wrote:You are right about that beautiful horn. Is that record storage under the horn???Tom

The horn is the whole center section. Record storage on both sides top and bottom.

CMac1974
Victor Jr

Post by CMac1974 »

Phonofreak wrote:This sort of mimics the Credenza. It seems that other manufacturers had similar styles. Does this machine have a re-entrant horn? Nice machine and a beautiful restoration job.
Harvey Kravitz

It does not have a re-entrant horn. The horn is rather long though "squirming" through the back and up through the front louvered center section with an arched top.
Attachments
SilvertoneHorn.jpg
SilvertoneHorn.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 1590 times

CMac1974
Victor Jr

Post by CMac1974 »

larryh wrote:I love it. Often I see them and the arms are swollen and won't turn and the reproducers are cracked. Is yours all functional? It goes nicely in your home what I can see of it. Seems like a rather unusual horn pattern as well.

In looking again at the photos the arm assembly appears to be in very good shape, I wonder if its metal or pot metal?

It is entirely functional (except the motor, I'm working on it). The bearings under the arm are rough sometimes. I don't know if it's metal or pot metal the arm seems gold over brass at the elbow where it's worn through. I snapped up an additional reproducer for cheap, one needs a rebuild one does not. I'm having difficulty with gaskets and a diaphragm for it.

Thanks for the home comments, I'm restoring an 1880's Victorian, it will be in the 'music room'

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I'll say it again- of all the Credenza Clones I've seen this may be the best- might even have better proportions.. The horn will have a sort of saxophone shape which means that while it isn't a re-entrant it will have a fair amount of length. I doubt it will sound as good as a Credenza but if the soundbox is good it should be quite respectable.