Diamond Disc reproducer types - illustrated

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

Diamond Disc reproducer types - illustrated

Post by 52089 »

Following a recent conversation on the board, it occurred to me that I had not seen the major types of Diamond Disc reproducers illustrated together, at least not that I can recall. (Frow shows them in his Diamond Disk book, but his comments and layout are not clear.)

I am attaching top and side views of the 3 major types of reproducers used on standard Diamond discs. From left to right, these are the original or "Standard", "Dance", and "New Standard", also called the "Edisonic".

The initial version had a solid top and a relatively narrow weight. There are several variations, primarily in the way the stylus bar is held onto the weight. This was the only type of reproducer available from 1912 or so until about 1926. There was no real need to give this a specific name because there was only one type offered for sale. It was standard equipment on all models until 1926-ish.

The next version, chronologically, is the Dance, which came out in roughly 1926. This was designed with a spring-loaded diaphragm and stylus bar to provide better tracking and volume than the old reproducer. The weight was also made wider and heavier. This is the only reproducer with the screw-top flange, which was necessary due to the spring-loaded diaphragm top. When this came out, some literature then referred to the old reproducer as the "Standard" reproducer. I am not aware of any machine that offered the Dance as standard equipment. As far as I can tell, it was only available as an upgrade or accessory. These seem to be harder to find than the other types.

After the Dance came the "New Standard". This also has a spring-loaded stylus bar, but there is no top flange or spring-loaded diaphagm. There are two major versions of the weight, one of which has the weight roughly the same width as the reproducer top (like the Dance), and the other with a more "squared off" weight (shown in the attached pictures). This reproducer was standard equipment on the "Edisonic" Beethoven and Schubert models and therefore is frequently referred to as the Edisonic reproducer. It is also is frequently found on the long play consoles (but not always). It's not clear to me whether or not the Edisonic replaced the Dance or supplemented it, but given the amount that the Edisonic "borrows" from the Dance, I would think it was intended as a replacement.

By coincidence, the reproducers shown are also in different original finishes. From left to right they are nickel, gold, and gun metal. The "standard" reproducer is also available in oxidized bronze, but these are only standard for the model A-150.

Of course there is also the Long Play reproducer, but that was not intended for the regular Diamond Discs.
Attachments
Standard, Dance, and New Standard or Edisonic reproducers, side view.  This is the "square" weight Edisonic.  The Edisonic also came with a "round" weight like the Dance reproducer used.
Standard, Dance, and New Standard or Edisonic reproducers, side view. This is the "square" weight Edisonic. The Edisonic also came with a "round" weight like the Dance reproducer used.
Standard, Dance, and New Standard or Edisonic reproducers, top view.  Note flange on Dance reproducer.
Standard, Dance, and New Standard or Edisonic reproducers, top view. Note flange on Dance reproducer.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Re: Diamond Disc reproducer types - illustrated

Post by phonogal »

I have a W-250 that came with the oxidized reproducer. Not sure if that was a standard or optional finish for this model.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

phonogal wrote:I have a W-250 that came with the oxidized reproducer.
Interesting. I have only ever seen gun metal on the W-250. Is the horn's reproducer socket oxidized as well?

And to be clear, by oxidized, I mean the same finish used on the L/M/Diamond A reproducers that has a mix of light and dark areas, like what's shown here:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -442982224

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Yes. Here's a picture of it.
Attachments
IMG_20180422_215628338.jpg

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

That's awesome! Always interesting to see something that adds to the "previously accepted knowledge"! Thanks for posting that.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Very interesting to see that finish on a William & Mary! Thanks for posting it!

George P>

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Here's an ancient thread on the topic including some period advertising.

It would seem from this literature that the Dance was intended as a supplemental reproducer, just for Dance records and the Edisonic was a replacement for the Standard reproducer and an improvement/replacement on the Dance too.

Price of the Edisonic is $19.50 but if you trade in your old reproducer you get a $12.75 credit! Your price as an Edison owner only $6.75! (April 28)

Even though it's suggested that you can quickly switch between the standard to the Dance and back, in reality it's not so easy btw. The limit loop pin is much thicker on the Dance and there's not much tolerance. For that reason, some records that would play fine with the standard reproducer will skip and/or damage the record when using the Dance. The tolerance problem exists somewhat with the Edisonic too but not nearly as much. :monkey:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... onic+dance

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

phonogfp wrote:Very interesting to see that finish on a William & Mary! Thanks for posting it!

George P>
I've had this machine for several years and never realized it was unusal for it to have this finish. It has a dealer tag and here's a picture of the I'd plate. Anyone else have one with oxidized finish?
Attachments
IMG_20180423_081715984.jpg
IMG_20180423_082218191.jpg

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

Also documented in the APS archives from the November 1976 issue of Antique Phonograph Monthly
Attachments
APM-VOL IV-09-1976-Page-2.jpg
APM-VOL IV-09-1976-Page-3.jpg
APM-VOL IV-09-1976-Page-4.jpg
APM-VOL IV-09-1976-Page-5.jpg
APM-VOL IV-09-1976-Page-7.jpg
APM-VOL IV-09-1976-Page-1.jpg

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Phonogal,

Just curious, based on the reproducer limit pin being insulated and the wire conduit channel on the horn, is this an EAS (Edison Auto Stop) reproducer with the wire socket in the rear?

Thanks,

AR