Tada!!!!!!!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dedrums
Victor O
Personal Text: phonographs are like potato chips you can't just have one

Tada!!!!!!!

Post by Dedrums »

Here she is done. Thanks Buford Chidester for the cone and George. Vollema for the new springs
Attachments
20180521_180947.jpg
20180521_171848.jpg
20180330_182307.jpg

long_island_phono
Victor II

Re: Tada!!!!!!!

Post by long_island_phono »

I am happy that the mechanism is now complete but, as a preservationist, I am sad to see that the original interior finish was stripped, save for around the decals. I thought people stopped doing that in the 1980's. I hate to be "that guy" but that interior finish was original and could have been cleaned up with some beeswax oil. The before pictures do not tell me enough about the exterior finish, but even if it was really flakey, as it almost appears, I personally think there was enough original finish left to warrant saving it all.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The original post on this machine says it was headed to the landfill. Decal or not, there's no reason to rain on any parades now. I don't think it's at all junky now--here's to another ninety years of perfectly played foxtrots!

Nice Actuelle--I love how you did a lacquer finish on it, very 1920s! You captured the look perfectly, makes me wish my Brunswick York had turned out so well. I hope you have tons of records to play on it now and enjoy it for years!

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

How does it sound?!? I’m not really into these but it would be fun to play and I respect the uniqueness. The mechanics look great. I hate to say that the first thing I noticed was the decal areas, too. I definitely wouldn’t have refinished the inside. That being said, if you’re happy with it, enjoy it. It could be refinished better down the line. I have a Victrola x that I did as a teen that looks like this. Not bad, but one day it’d be nice to improve it.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I like the finish the way it is. A good compromise point on the "preserved" decals might be to get hold of Gregg Cline- if he doesn't already have these decals he might be able to custom make them. This would just entail redoing those two small panels. It could also be done any time. Win- win.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Dedrums, I'm very impressed with the excellent work that you did to save your machine from the landfill. The pictures show the great effort that was made to turn the cabinet around. Congratulations. I hope you continue to save more sad machines.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

What a super job... Don't pay any attention to the "purest" out their.. and take any negativity with a grain of salt.. :cry: 98% of them wouldn't have taken on the task that you did and the machine might have actually ended up in the dump if it were not for you..

It's not like it's a one of a kind for god sake... :lol: :lol:

Keep up the good work.

Blizz

Dedrums
Victor O
Personal Text: phonographs are like potato chips you can't just have one

Post by Dedrums »

thanks a lot guys

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

I agree with the "yea-sayers": It looks lovely.

A question, as I have a diffusor but have never played one of the cabinet cousins: Actuelle was Pathé's line of lateral needle cut records. Do the Actuelle machines play only laterals? Or do they also play vertical sapphire ball cuts?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

drh wrote:I agree with the "yea-sayers": It looks lovely.

A question, as I have a diffusor but have never played one of the cabinet cousins: Actuelle was Pathé's line of lateral needle cut records. Do the Actuelle machines play only laterals? Or do they also play vertical sapphire ball cuts?
The Actuelle machine shown in this thread plays both lateral and vertical cuts. You just need to rotate the arm by 90 degrees and the needle holder (and replace the needle for a sapphire). There are markings on the rim of the cone indicating the positions for each type of record.

This is a nice machine, looks well restored. I have a couple of them, one in mahogany finish and the other in oak. They are not identical, differ in the external details and one has the auto break while the other doesn't.