Are there any machines, you would avoid?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Are there any machines, you would avoid?

Post by drh »

Back to the subject at hand, much as I love all things Pathé, I've promised myself to avoid any more Pathé machines with undersized motors. It's just too frustrating having records start to sag mid-side and end up standing by the machine to do touchup windings. (My "avatar" machine has that problem--but it sounds so wonderful when all the stars align...). Same goes for any other machine with a wimpy motor. I'd doubtless better put on my asbestos suit for this one, but I'll add any front-mount disk players, too. I have two of them, and they are such record grinders (admittedly, the Columbia AH more than the Victor Monarch Jr.) they've ended up as purely display pieces. While I love the look, I just can't afford the $$$ or space for display pieces any more.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I avoid table gramophones and most pre-1925 cabinet gramophones, which are usually nothing more than table models with added record storage.

I like portables. My first machine was a portable and I now have over 20 of them in a wide range of colours and finishes. They take up little space, but my wife is convinced that they breed under the beds and in the bottoms of wardrobes. She could be right...... ;)

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

While I am thinking of it? I probably should have said are there any brands of machines that you would avoid?

It's interesting too see everyone's different tastes, in machines.

I do love the six machines, that I currently own. As they give a nice example, of the progression of recording. Even though, I don't own an open horn disc machine, too expensive.

I wouldn't mind finding a small Victor Orthophonic.

I have been told too avoid certain machines, there is a certain open works disk machine, too avoid. Can't remember the name?

I never thought you could offend, a phonograph collector?

Paul

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

I'm not interested in machines that I couldn't play on a daily basis if I wanted to. I prefer machines that present records with good sound and are dependable. Delicate curates eggs aren't my thing.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I usually try to avoid most Chicago “off brand” upright and console machines. (Vitanola, Mandell, etc...)

I also avoid most post-1929 portables. (With the HMV portables being an exception.)

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

While many early Columbia Disc Machines are ornate, I avoid the Columbia Grafonola line. My reasoning is that the arms have pot metal issues, heavy on records, and many of the motors are notorious for fiber governor drive gears. I also avoid Talk-O-Phones, I had a nice one, but for me it was more of a shelf sitter and the motor seemed weak.

Again, everyone has preferences and that is just mine.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Edisonfan wrote:While I am thinking of it? I probably should have said are there any brands of machines that you would avoid?

It's interesting too see everyone's different tastes, in machines.

I do love the six machines, that I currently own. As they give a nice example, of the progression of recording. Even though, I don't own an open horn disc machine, too expensive.

I wouldn't mind finding a small Victor Orthophonic.

I have been told too avoid certain machines, there is a certain open works disk machine, too avoid. Can't remember the name?

I never thought you could offend, a phonograph collector?

Paul
Space prohibits me from having a Orthophonic, but they are nice. I don’t own any external horn machines either, the best one’s would be Victor, and yes they are expensive. I think they are overpriced.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Yea, I only own two Columbia Graphophones. An "Eagle" and a "Q". Well, as far as the Orthophonics, Victor did make a few smaller machines that were not as big as the credenza's. Yea, the high prices for External Horn Victor Talking Machines puts me off from owning one. Same goes for the Coin op machines.

I had considered and Edison Class M phonograph, but was beaten too it.

Price and limited space keeps me from owning a number of machines.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Thus far in my nearly 50 years of collecting phonographs and gramophones, I have avoided the "scheme" machines with non-standard center holes, etc. Records are not as plentiful and musical selections limited.
Best regards ... AZ*

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

epigramophone wrote:I avoid table gramophones and most pre-1925 cabinet gramophones, which are usually nothing more than table models with added record storage.

I like portables. My first machine was a portable and I now have over 20 of them in a wide range of colours and finishes. They take up little space, but my wife is convinced that they breed under the beds and in the bottoms of wardrobes. She could be right...... ;)
I also avoid Edison disc machines, although I am sometimes tempted. They are cheap to buy in the UK, but good discs are hard to find over here and are yet another format to collect in addition to my Blue Amberols, Pathé verticals and conventional 78's.