Are there any machines, you would avoid?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Are there any machines, you would avoid?

Post by CarlosV »

I tend to avoid machines with electrical motors. Even after overhauling, the residual risk of shorts is not negligible for these 100-year old designs.

I also avoid the long consoles. They occupy too much space for their sound, even though some of them are attractive, like the period designs - Gothic, Regence etc.

One-of-a-kind, museum pieces are out of my area of interest as well. Even though I love to see them in other collections, I buy the machines to play them, which would not be the case if I owned a tin-foil phonograph (not to mention their discouragingly high prices). Having said that, I bought a Berliner years ago, mostly due to its iconic status as the dog machine - I played it half a dozen times at most, it is essentially a display piece.

jmad7474
Victor I
Personal Text: "Don't Deny Yourself the Sheer Joy of Orthophonic Music"

Post by jmad7474 »

I used to have one of those phonographs made during the 1920s to resemble the Brownie portable cameras, but it was an off-brand that I picked up in a flea market for $20. The tracking angle and build quality, overall, were just abysmal - the last straw for me was when the neck of the tonearm connecting the to the reproducer snapped off when I was lifting it to play a record! Rather than try to repair it, I just listed it as a parts-only unit on eBay since the motor, case, reproducer itself and folding turntable were still good. Unless you find an actual Kameraphone (the good ones with the separate brake/speed controls and brass reproducers), I would definitely avoid them!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

jmad7474 wrote:I used to have one of those phonographs made during the 1920s to resemble the Brownie portable cameras, but it was an off-brand that I picked up in a flea market for $20. The tracking angle and build quality, overall, were just abysmal - the last straw for me was when the neck of the tonearm connecting the to the reproducer snapped off when I was lifting it to play a record! Rather than try to repair it, I just listed it as a parts-only unit on eBay since the motor, case, reproducer itself and folding turntable were still good. Unless you find an actual Kameraphone (the good ones with the separate brake/speed controls and brass reproducers), I would definitely avoid them!
In general these machines are delightful as shelf displays. Even the Excelda is only a moderately good performer.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

epigramophone wrote:
epigramophone wrote:I avoid table gramophones and most pre-1925 cabinet gramophones, which are usually nothing more than table models with added record storage.

I like portables. My first machine was a portable and I now have over 20 of them in a wide range of colours and finishes. They take up little space, but my wife is convinced that they breed under the beds and in the bottoms of wardrobes. She could be right...... ;)
I also avoid Edison disc machines, although I am sometimes tempted. They are cheap to buy in the UK, but good discs are hard to find over here and are yet another format to collect in addition to my Blue Amberols, Pathé verticals and conventional 78's.

For years I remained without any Edison machines or records after just about dumping them in the mid 60s. However now that decent stylus and diaphragms are availailable its obvious that the sound is far more realistic than most other brands. Pop things on most Brunswick or Victor machines are sort of a blur of sound compared to the crisp realistic sound of the Edison in good shape. I am not saying I wouldn't own the other machines as I do, but I lean to Edison now for the sake of the sound. I have had many small portables and some are very good but most eventually suffer from small springs, and as mentioned far too many have tone arms that are swollen and won't track the records. I gave up my great grandfathers Victor I because the small horn and weak spring just didn't have decent sound. If Silvertones are considered off brands I would have to say that it is one I would consider due to the experience I had with one table model with lid I once had, the sound was among the best I had heard from standard records.

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Personally, I avoid any and all machines with pot metal parts.
Life is just too short to deal with swollen crumbling pot metal issues.

Bob S.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I have a 1929 Victrola Orthophonic 8-9 and the reproducer is perfect. Wyatt Markus just rebuilt it and it has zero cracks and plays great! So not all pot metal is equal. The late Victrola Orthophonic reproducers are well made.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

I would love to own an orthophonic, but trying too get it up three flights of stairs would be a challenge. Especially, trying too find someone too help me move it.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Just hire that guy shown in a 1920s Credenza ad unloading a Credenza on his back!

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

what? I don't have the strength for that!

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

I avoid all of the "off-brands." They're just not really within my area of interest. The console models aren't my favorite either. I do have an underlying appreciation for any phonograph, but that isn't enough for me to want every one of them :lol: