Edison C-250 Fixed Up

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Re: Edison C-250 Fixed Up

Post by kirtley2012 »

Jwb88 wrote:drh: LOL--That is exactly what I will probably end up doing one day, even with you confirming what I already suspected about the LPs. Glad to see someone else who thinks just as crazy as myself. This strange hobby...
I'll add myself into the crazy bracket, you should see what I'm doing to and how much I'm spending on an Edison home I got from David :lol:

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

kirtley2012 wrote:
Jwb88 wrote:drh: LOL--That is exactly what I will probably end up doing one day, even with you confirming what I already suspected about the LPs. Glad to see someone else who thinks just as crazy as myself. This strange hobby...
I'll add myself into the crazy bracket, you should see what I'm doing to and how much I'm spending on an Edison home I got from David :lol:
That's literally true: you should see what he's accomplishing with that derelict Home. I've seen a video; it's really exciting to see the machine coming back to life.

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

That is an INCREDIBLE transformation! I remember that very machine sitting in a wood shed at a dear collector friends home for years! Then, it became mine, and sat in my garage for YEARS!! I also wanted a C250--exactly as this one--but it came in the form of a C19, over 20 years ago, from John Robles. It was equally shot, but another gifted restorer completely redid everything for me, and I wouldn't part with it for anything. I wish I was talented enough to do the quality restorations you do! By the way, I haven't been able to find the medallion for the wood bedplate surround....I will keep looking!

Mike Sorter

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Jwb88 wrote:How I received it was with a mechanism from the late teens in it with the automatic electric stop, which is cool, but I think it would have originally had the bedplate with decals, etc.
You've done an amazing restoration, very nice work!

Just an FYI, the motor plate used for the period of time in which the Edison Electric Automatic Stop (aka the "Duncan stop") was employed, would likely not have had pinstriping and instructional decals. The pinstriping is observed to have been dropped around the same time as the introduction of the electric stop in January 1917, and consequently was never reintroduced on the C 250/19 motorplate again. The pinstriping is observed only used during the production period of late 1915-1916 -- essentially the Chippendale's first year.

Just out of curiosity, Do you have all the components for the electric stop?

Best regards,
Fran

EDIT: Just to try and clarify what I meant, the maroon background instruction decals, and gold pinstriping appear to have been used on the earliest C 250 motor plates, followed by the black background instruction decals and gold pinstriping, but were apparently eliminated by early 1917. ;)
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Hi! The cabinet serial number is 13410. Using your extremely helpful guide (which I cannot thank you enough for compiling) I think the motor plate should have the black background instructions*. The mechanism with the electric stop and horn was included from another parts machine, I believe, in an attempt to complete this cabinet (which had been gutted and used for a stereo cabinet, as evidenced by the hole drilled for the cord.)

I do think the maroon background motor plate I'm using is too early for it, but I bought it from a ruined C-150 and it's too nice not to put it in something! Then, also, I may want to try to get the electric stop working off the other motorboard. It's pretty filthy but it looks useable. Seems like it could be fun. Mike Sorter provided me with the shell of a reproducer that also goes to the DD electric stop (with the hole for wire), so if I run a wire, etc. I think I could rig it up. I'll try to get some photos asap.

*I have no idea what I'm talking about and am very open minded to being proven wrong. :lol:

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Mike thanks for looking for the medallion, but it's no big deal. It sounds just fine without it, lol!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Jwb88 wrote:Hi! The cabinet serial number is 13410. Using your extremely helpful guide (which I cannot thank you enough for compiling) I think the motor plate should have the black background instructions*. The mechanism with the electric stop and horn was included from another parts machine, I believe, in an attempt to complete this cabinet (which had been gutted and used for a stereo cabinet, as evidenced by the hole drilled for the cord.)

I do think the maroon background motor plate I'm using is too early for it, but I bought it from a ruined C-150 and it's too nice not to put it in something! Then, also, I may want to try to get the electric stop working off the other motorboard. It's pretty filthy but it looks useable. Seems like it could be fun. Mike Sorter provided me with the shell of a reproducer that also goes to the DD electric stop (with the hole for wire), so if I run a wire, etc. I think I could rig it up. I'll try to get some photos asap.

*I have no idea what I'm talking about and am very open minded to being proven wrong. :lol:
I disagree! You certainly know what you're talking about. :) I'm impressed with your attention to detail; I wouldn't know where to have started with a project like this. I have a complete solenoid/lever arrangement -- you're welcome to it for the cost of shipping -- if you need one. It's dirty, but the coils have continuity, and I think it might clean up satisfactorily for you (especially considering your enviable talent for bringing things back from the brink of death)!

Best,
Fran
Attachments
DSC07971 (Large).JPG
DSC07970 (Large).JPG
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.