Difference between recorders and reproducers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
roaringtwenties
Victor Jr
Personal Text: "WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ELECTRICITY BILL" - Confusion (Not Confucius)

Difference between recorders and reproducers

Post by roaringtwenties »

Greetings everyone!

Before I continue writing, I just wanted to say that I do know what a reproducer is and what a recorder is. (I am referring to Edison standard machines, and cylinder machines in general.) I just wanted to know how they differ in their stylus's and what is inside. Are reproducers and recorders the same, just one is heavier and has a different "needle" (stylus)? I own a 2 minute "B" reproducer, and I eventually might want to do some recordings so I'd have to get a recorder, or an automatic, which is why I am curious on how they work.

Thank you all for all the very kind input!

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: Difference between recorders and reproducers

Post by Roaring20s »

Google knows most, if not all basic information.

My first search
https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 8&oe=UTF-8

Lots of good reading and viewing. ;)

James.

roaringtwenties
Victor Jr
Personal Text: "WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ELECTRICITY BILL" - Confusion (Not Confucius)

Post by roaringtwenties »

I asked specific questions that I could not FIND on google. If you are trying to ridicule me you are doing it poorly. It is not nice to pick on people in the first place, and I would work on your spelling, not on this reply, but on the other one where you wrote "goole" instead of "google".

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

They are different in the construction and in the stylus. I clicked on the suggested link and found it shows what you seemed to be asking.
Dave D

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

The basic difference between a reproducer and a recorder is that a recorder has a different stylus, and does not have any lateral play.

BTW, the link works fine for me. Click on the heading, "images".

Bill

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

roaringtwenties wrote:I asked specific questions that I could not FIND on google. If you are trying to ridicule me you are doing it poorly. It is not nice to pick on people in the first place, and I would work on your spelling, not on this reply, but on the other one where you wrote "goole" instead of "google".
Sorry, I can't let these remarks just pass. James (Roaring20s) is a longtime forum member and a gentleman. I've dealt with him personally over the years.
If you as a new member find yourself getting fewer responses to your inquiries then I suggest you read your own post above and imagine how you'd feel if someone came back at you like that.
Bob Barnett
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

roaringtwenties wrote:I asked specific questions that I could not FIND on google. If you are trying to ridicule me you are doing it poorly. It is not nice to pick on people in the first place, and I would work on your spelling, not on this reply, but on the other one where you wrote "goole" instead of "google".
Compared to the fine job you are doing of it, I'd agree.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I can't BELIEVE some punk would come here and respond to longtime respected TMF member Roaring20's like that.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Please, no need for the lambasting!
He has questions and is looking for answers.
I have many unanswered questions.
It's not an issue for me, lets move on.

James.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Bully for you, James!

I hope that the youngster sticks around for a while, for he appears to be bright, and evidences a genuine interest installing machines. If the fellow chooses to hang around here those rough edges will get smoothed off in short order.

"Interest INSTALLING machines"!

DYAC!

I WROTE: :interest IN THESE machines"

This is why some of us prefer to not use auto-correct. I wishbtuat I could turn it off on my Android 'phone...
Last edited by Uncle Vanya on Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.