SINGLE PIECE CYGNET HORN SUPPORT (Bracket)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
nosforless
Victor Jr

SINGLE PIECE CYGNET HORN SUPPORT (Bracket)

Post by nosforless »

Was wondering if this single piece cygnet horn bracket is original or not? Was found on an Edison Triumph Model B which had been updated with a 2/4 minute combination attachment along with a Model O Reproducer. Have included photos. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Attachments
57CBBB84-D33F-4CEB-A53F-AD2BE5E67AE8.jpeg
DDDFA47C-6B27-4702-A303-A1D68C789C68.jpeg
3404D5CA-09D8-49BC-B184-F5EED776778F.jpeg
0B404835-9026-40C9-A8E4-C142DC15D3F7.jpeg

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: SINGLE PIECE CYGNET HORN SUPPORT (Bracket)

Post by Dave D »

I do not believe it is original. The spring support assembly is definitely not from the Edison factory. My two cents worth.
Dave D

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Definitely homemade.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I have a somewhat similar piece that came to me with a Standard. I think George P said he thought it might have been a staircase rail bent to shape. You can add me to the "home made" vote.

nosforless
Victor Jr

Post by nosforless »

Thanks to all those for their responses. I appreciate it. I had a felling that it may be reproduction, but wasn’t 100% certain. So the only Cygnet Horn Supports made for Edison machines were nickel-plated steel, two-piece ones?

graynavarre
Victor O

Post by graynavarre »

I wouldn't say reproduction so much as home made during the time period of phonographs.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

nosforless wrote: So the only Cygnet Horn Supports made for Edison machines were nickel-plated steel, two-piece ones?
Yes. The earliest top rods are of a flatter design and use a rigid mount to suspend the horn. The cygnet crane bottoms of Firesides, Standards, and Homes are the same (with two variations in step-back depending on the type of carriage being used).

The Triumph/Idelia/Alva cygnet crane bottoms are a couple of inches longer than the others, and are difficult to find. This probably explains the crane you picture. Someone needed a cygnet crane for a Triumph, and couldn't find an original. However, they clearly had access to a Fireside/Standard/Home cygnet crane to copy (they didn't do a bad job).

George P.