Passing of Larry Strong

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Passing of Larry Strong

Post by Jerry B. »

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of fellow collector, Larry Strong. Larry was an active and enthusiastic collector for many years even as he battled health issues. He was always generous both with his knowledge and a needed part. A visit to Debbie and Larry's home and basement was always a welcome stop on our way to Union. We will miss you Larry.

Jerry Blais

Remmotors
Victor O

Re: Passing of Larry Strong

Post by Remmotors »

So sad.
Roy

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

That's very sad, my thoughts and prayers for his loved ones.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Bought and sold back and forth with him several times. RIP.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I got to know him a little, last year, through a series of phone calls. I was buying some stuff from him and, as is always good to do, we chit-chatted about our histories and hobby interests and lives.

So we got to talking about cancer and tumors and getting old, and that sort of thing. He was going through some nasty chemo, and I talked about my own recent brush with mortality, and through it all I found him to be pragmatic and brave and just the kind of guy you're glad you met.

I'm glad I met him. I'm sad he's gone. I'll think about him a lot today, and I'll think about him whenever I play those old radios I bought from him.

A good man.

Kent in KC
Victor II

Post by Kent in KC »

Sad news. I also bought and sold phonographs, horns, records, etc. with Larry. Like me, he kind of liked the Columbia and off-brand machines. I'll especially think of him when I look at the beautiful BKT I bought from him about 25 years ago. Met him halfway between our towns at a Dairy Queen for lunch...it was sitting on the table when I got there! I knew he was battling but still surprised to hear this news.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I am deeply saddened by Larry's passing. Even though I never met Larry personally, I have known him through correspondence and phone conversations for many years. We did a lot of buying and selling with each other. Some of my best machines were bought from Larry. He was a real, true, blue friend. Larry, I will truly miss you. RIP old buddy. :clover: :rose:
Harvey Kravitz

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

So sorry to hear of the passing of Larry. I bought from him over the years, and he was always a pleasure to deal with. It seems he either liked Uncle Josh, or just sold a lot of Uncle Josh cylinders! Attached is a link to his obituary online: https://ottumwapost.wordpress.com/2018/ ... ee-strong/
Rest in Peace Larry!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

So sorry to hear of the passing of Larry Strong. I never met Larry in person, but did talk to him for the first time back in 2015. He was a nice guy. He sold me a Victor Exhibition reproducer, and we also traded some things here and there. R.I.P. Larry.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Thanks for posting the obituary about Larry. Besides talking about phonographs, records, and radios, we told sea stories to each other. It was great talking to a fellow shipmate.
Harvey Kravitz
gsphonos wrote:So sorry to hear of the passing of Larry. I bought from him over the years, and he was always a pleasure to deal with. It seems he either liked Uncle Josh, or just sold a lot of Uncle Josh cylinders! Attached is a link to his obituary online: https://ottumwapost.wordpress.com/2018/ ... ee-strong/
Rest in Peace Larry!

Mike Sorter
Riverside, CA