Victor VV-50

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Victor VV-50

Post by Edisonfan »

There is a Victor VV-50 for sale in a local Antique mall, that my parents and I have a booth in. It has the winding crank on the front, and is in good shape and plays well. It is listed at $210.00.

Any thoughts?

Paul

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Victor VV-50

Post by AmberolaAndy »

The VV-50 was my first Victor machine. It is a great little player and I use mine a lot! I recently did my first motor teardown and cleaning on mine and it turned out pretty good. And with a rebuilt soundbox it’s surprisingly loud! YouTube user “Rockisland1903” has a lot of videos regarding the VV-50 and other portables.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Thank You!

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Is it Mahogany or Oak? Has it been serviced and cleaned? Rebuilt reproducer? These things should all be factors in the price. Personally I find Oak much more appealing and would place a higher value on it. I have two 50s in Oak, one earlier front wind model in golden Oak and a later side wind 50 in Weathered Oak which is a seldom seen finish, let alone on a 50. I paid much more than $200 for that one, but I have no regrets.

Sean

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

OrthoSean wrote:Is it Mahogany or Oak? Has it been serviced and cleaned? Rebuilt reproducer? These things should all be factors in the price. Personally I find Oak much more appealing and would place a higher value on it. I have two 50s in Oak, one earlier front wind model in golden Oak and a later side wind 50 in Weathered Oak which is a seldom seen finish, let alone on a 50. I paid much more than $200 for that one, but I have no regrets.

Sean
mines an oak and I think I paid $170 for it. This is what it looks like. Felt needs a cleaning.
Attachments
C0275857-4166-4186-8194-6AFF336E2065.jpeg

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

It's Mahogany. It is clean, although I don't know if the reproducer has been rebuilt or not, but it does play well.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

The VV-50 is cool because it was the first portable victrola that came out (circa 1921). The front crank was moved to the side in 1923.

If its in good shape I would buy it. Let us know if you get it

-Travis

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

As Travis stated, if it is in good shape, it is worth considering. I also have a VV-50 and enjoy playing it.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

As the other posters said, the VV-50 is a very good choice. _Properly tuned, it packs a good punch for such a small size. With the Oak or Mahogany veneers on the case, there is a real touch of elegance. When they sold for $50.00 in 1921, that was a good some of money back in those days. The owner got quality and elegance with the VV-50
Harvey kravitz