Question for the collective: Value of a nice Victor VV-XVIII

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Re: Question for the collective: Value of a nice Victor VV-X

Post by travisgreyfox »

Phono-Phan wrote:Mahogany crank models used to be around $3K if very nice. Condition is always a factor. Prices have fallen quite a bit. The one at Stantons for $1300 sounds like a bargain if it was in nice condition. The correct albums are also a factor in value. Ken

I keep hearing this sentiment among long time collectors. Why has the value gone down on these machines? Is it that the older collectors are dying and younger collectors not interested? Bad economy? I find it kind of strange that the prices are going DOWN on these pieces of 100 year old history instead of climbing.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I paid $2500 for mine in 2011, Red Mahogany, completely untouched and filthy original. At the time that was probably a bit high, but I was glad to because I had been looking for one locally for 20 years. I had a complete set of albums for it already and after I cleaned the cabinet and did the motor and all that good stuff, it came out fantastic. It's a machine I'll never part with and I have no regrets about paying what I did for it.

After a quick search, I found my original thread on the XVIII I picked up:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... III#p42183

Sean

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

travisgreyfox wrote:
Phono-Phan wrote:Mahogany crank models used to be around $3K if very nice. Condition is always a factor. Prices have fallen quite a bit. The one at Stantons for $1300 sounds like a bargain if it was in nice condition. The correct albums are also a factor in value. Ken

I keep hearing this sentiment among long time collectors. Why has the value gone down on these machines? Is it that the older collectors are dying and younger collectors not interested? Bad economy? I find it kind of strange that the prices are going DOWN on these pieces of 100 year old history instead of climbing.

Yes, basically, no new collector coming into the hobby.That may change with time, but younger people today what to travel light and are not into the idea of collecting big history items like us old timers.
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

phonojim wrote:As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a "Plain Jane" XVIII. However, the price for the one sold at Stanton's sounds about par, if not slightly up for his last several auctions I did not see this particular machine because I was not able to be there this time.

Jim
I see that I am going to have to apply my Sarcasm tag at times. The term, Plain Jane was applied because it was mention in the company of a Verni and Walnut machine. No matter how you slice it, and XVIII is a very nice machine. In my time I have had 2 in red mahogany, but because of unfortunate circumstances, I had to sell them. I would certainly like to have another one

Mark
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Mark,
I wish you luck in your quest for a VV-XVIII. I would also like to have one someday. They do seem to come up at auctions more frequently than I remember.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

My first VV-XVIII came from my Grandmother's estate. She inherited it from her mom. When my Grandparents were moving from "The Ranch" to a suburban home, they left the 18 in the barn. While "The Ranch" was still on the market, Grandma told me if I wanted anything from there, I'd better go quick because she expected escrow to close within a month. I explored that barn, remembering all the fun me and my cousins had there as kids. I thought the 18 had been hauled away years ago, but there it was, tucked into the same spot where we had played with it as kids. That was back in 1978, I still have that gorgeous machine.
It is deep red mahogany, and has an expensive appearance to it. I am sure the design and coloring was intended to impart that impression.

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

maginter wrote:Hi All -

What is the current going value of a nice Victor VV-XVIII in nice shape with no albums?

TIA,

Mark
I have sold 4 mahogany 18's over the years , and for a very nice original finish machine I have gotten as high as $2800 , but as mentioned earlier there have been 2 or 3 sell at Stantons over the last 3 years that have sold in the low to mid teens without buyers premium, and they were pretty nice machines, I was at the auctions in question. The thing about Stantons ,large items that are not auctioned off before the end of the sale can go much less than what they are worth for the simple reason many buyers are out of room in there trucks and trailers, But to give you a straight answer (opinion) if the machine was a very nice original finish with no damage, I would think $2000 would not be out of line and for a absolutely perfect example with a glossy original finish much more .

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

$1300 for an XVIII?
I would give that any day!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I heard that a Victrola XX sold at Stantons for $3,000... that's a long way off of what they used to bring...

Just like Mode A and Model T Fords, the old guys who grew up with them are gone or leaving... Younger people are attracted to what they grew up with, it's just a circle of life. Who in their right mind would give several hundred thousand dollars for an early Apple Computer?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Remmotors
Victor O

Post by Remmotors »

The XVIII at Stanton’s was dirty but it was quite nice; one of the best I’ve seen in years. The XX, on the other hand, was pretty rough. Many of the trim pieces on the doors were missing, there were a lot of dings and dents in the cabinet and the finish had certainly seen better days. That said, in the hands if a skilled woodworker and finisher, it could (and hopefully will be) gorgeous again.