Is this Columbia bvt worth it?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Is this Columbia bvt worth it?

Post by Mormon S »

I posted this machine a while ago but I wasn't interested in buying it because it was 6.5 hours away, and was $350. They reduced it to 275, so I asked if they could ship and they said yes, for $100. Is it worth 375? The arm that connects the reproducer to the horn is present, but rusted, and the curved arm is missing (but I could find this on yankee trader). The reproducer also seems to be in poor shape.
thoughts?
Attachments
Screenshot_20181125-141406_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20181125-141358_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20181125-141305_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20181210-200930_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20181210-200923_Facebook.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Is this Columbia bvt worth it?

Post by JerryVan »

In my opinion: No, not worth it. You will most likely never find the correct tone arm. Plus, no lid?

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

JerryVan wrote:In my opinion: No, not worth it. You will most likely never find the correct tone arm. Plus, no lid?
Only the end section of the tone arm is missing, but I don't think it would be THAT hard to find one. I will ask the seller of they have the lid, but I assume not...

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

It will probably be extremely hard to find the parts, but on the other hand, this is a much more desirable/interesting model than your standard, uh, Standard cylinder player. I'd probably go for it, but I don't make the best decisions if you're considering the resale value/time to completion. I can see myself attempting to make a temporary connecting arm out of pipe or sculpey or paper mâché, which I'm sure wouldn't work, but I'd still try :lol:

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The curved end piece that connects the tonearm to the reproducer is almost impossible to find loose and is the most important part of the setup... It is a specific design and unless you are able to create a duplicate, forget it... I know because I have had to source two of them for Columbia backmount machines and have never found one available for sale.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I think I would pass on it and keep looking.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

The part you need is a "J" shaped piece of tubing that is inserted into the tonearm and curves downward and backward to connect to the reproducer - no standard tubing will work. I had to make one for a BKT, which is a simpler piece of tubing with just a 90 degree bend to connect, since the reproducer neck is vertical. The reproducer on the BVT is angled in the carriage, so it requires a downward and backward bend to connect.

If you want it for the parts, it might be OK, but not at $375. I wouldn't pay more than $150 in its current condition because it will take years, if ever, to put it back right.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

You might want to see if they will sell you the 2 minute Indestructible cylinders...

My Wife

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Update: the seller says they have the lid, and they might have the j shaped tubing, but they dont have the crank. If someone has a crank, or knows what type of crank it is, I might go for it. I just really like this machine, so even if it doesnt scream "big profit", it something I would like to have.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

Could be the picture, but the mandrel shaft looks bent down to the bed plate.
The cylinder on the mandrel may actually be touching the bed plate.

Personally I would pass. Save your money towards something nicer.

Larry Crandell