Is this orthophonic reproducer too far gone?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Is this orthophonic reproducer too far gone?

Post by Mormon S »

I know nothing about orthophonic reproducers, so if anyone can tell me where I cam get a new flange and gaskets that would be great. The body of the reproducer cracked in a few places, I'm worried if I take it apart it will crumble. Is this salable? I would appreciate any hints towards the right direction

Thanks
Martin
Attachments
20190117_210620.jpg
20190117_210631.jpg

Victor VI

Re: Is this orthophonic reproducer too far gone?

Post by 52089 »

I've certainly seen worse, but you need to know that rebuilding an Orthophonic is far more complex than doing an Exhibition or No. 2. Pot metal deterioration makes many of them unsalvageable. In addition to the flange, it's essential to replace the teeny tiny ball bearings that the needle bar pivots on, a process that has made more than one grown man cry. It's best to send these out to a qualified repair person.

If you really want more details, here's a full description from Wyatt Markus's website:
http://www.lagparty.org/~wyatt/rebuild-orthophonic.html

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

52089 wrote:I've certainly seen worse, but you need to know that rebuilding an Orthophonic is far more complex than doing an Exhibition or No. 2. Pot metal deterioration makes many of them unsalvageable. In addition to the flange, it's essential to replace the teeny tiny ball bearings that the needle bar pivots on, a process that has made more than one grown man cry. It's best to send these out to a qualified repair person.

If you really want more details, here's a full description from Wyatt Markus's website:
http://www.lagparty.org/~wyatt/rebuild-orthophonic.html
Thank you. I would much rather learn to rebuild these than to send it to someone else, and I think this is the perfect place to start. I dont have a machine that goes with it, I got it for 5 bucks with the tone arm at an antique shop.

Martin

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Thank you. I would much rather learn to rebuild these than to send it to someone else, and I think this is the perfect place to start. I dont have a machine that goes with it, I got it for 5 bucks with the tone arm at an antique shop.

Martin[/quote]
So although the thread was quite long and had some irreverent side trips [mainly by me ;) ] I more or less documented my journey 'rebuilding' one. I put rebulding in quotes because at the end I basically bought a whole new body from Ron Sitco and salvaged the needlebar and spider.

I got the initial ball bearings and gasket from Bob Nix here in Canada, but Ron also sends these with the new body.

It was a long drawn out process with lots of mistakes ... but we each have our own motivations in this hobby and the challenge of DYI is definitely mine ... sounds like maybe the same for you. There is some stuff in the process I documented that I have not seen elsewhere.

For what its worth

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =7&t=30036

Cheers
Darrell

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

burke wrote:Thank you. I would much rather learn to rebuild these than to send it to someone else, and I think this is the perfect place to start. I dont have a machine that goes with it, I got it for 5 bucks with the tone arm at an antique shop.

Martin
So although the thread was quite long and had some irreverent side trips [mainly by me ;) ] I more or less documented my journey 'rebuilding' one. I put rebulding in quotes because at the end I basically bought a whole new body from Ron Sitco and salvaged the needlebar and spider.

I got the initial ball bearings and gasket from Bob Nix here in Canada, but Ron also sends these with the new body.

It was a long drawn out process with lots of mistakes ... but we each have our own motivations in this hobby and the challenge of DYI is definitely mine ... sounds like maybe the same for you. There is some stuff in the process I documented that I have not seen elsewhere.

For what its worth

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =7&t=30036

Cheers
Darrell[/quote]
Thank you! I will be reading this novel over the weekend :lol:. Didnt think a reproducer rebuild would be such a task, but I'm sure it will be worth my time to learn.