Gizmos, gadgets and gimmicks too

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
vansteem78
Victor II

Gizmos, gadgets and gimmicks too

Post by vansteem78 »

Yes I got this title from George Paul's and Tim Fabrizio's book. I use the phrase all the time. Here are three gizmos and gadgets I bought a couple weeks ago. Not using them yet. Is the brush for a cylinder machine? I will use the repeater on a record I don't care about! Lastly not sure I need volume control on any of my cylinder machines but now I have it. You know I would think there should be a section called gizmos and gadgets but put this under machines for now. ha ha Comments please. Neil
Attachments
DSCN0025.JPG
DSCN0023.JPG
DSCN0021.JPG
DSCN0020.JPG
DSCN0015.JPG
DSCN0016.JPG
DSCN0011.JPG
DSCN0009.JPG

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: Gizmos, gadgets and gimmicks too

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Here is a video of a Geer repeater in action, and a violent thing it is!

https://youtu.be/7Z3O5UFEDm4

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Uncle Vanya wrote:Here is a video of a Geer repeater in action, and a violent thing it is!

https://youtu.be/7Z3O5UFEDm4
Oh dear Lordy!

The end of that video snapped my head back and brought tears to my eyes.

Next time post a sterner warning "This video may contain content that may be disturbing to some viewers" :o :shock: :lol:

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Here is a much better and quite memorizing alternative. I started working on an archival website a while back, and I had a whole section about record repeaters, this ones is the best that was ever produced in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/bbnuR0QccpA

Martin

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Mormon S wrote:Here is a much better and quite memorizing alternative. I started working on an archival website a while back, and I had a whole section about record repeaters, this ones is the best that was ever produced in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/bbnuR0QccpA

Martin
Looks a lot less traumatic for phonograph and record. :)

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

The record brush probably fits a Victor Exhibition.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Both repeaters are really cool, but Martin's is the one I would love to own. Thanks for posting this.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

audiophile102 wrote:Both repeaters are really cool, but Martin's is the one I would love to own. Thanks for posting this.
Yes, I would absolutely love to have one, however, all of them have the flaw that you can't change the needle between plays. A more easily obtainable repeater is the "encore record repeator", which while not as graceful as the one I mentioned, it is certainly not as violent as the metal one. I'm sure if you had a one in good condition and using a phonograph with a lid, it could work somewhat well.

https://youtu.be/ApvQgEzu4_g

Martin

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Now you know there are needles which the manufacturers say can be used to play ten sides? I know this may continue a debate that I see going on all the time. But I go out of my way to find those kinds of needles. I do use the use once only type needles too but when I have a stack of 80 records to play (two sided) I use the ones good for ten side.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

vansteem78 wrote:Now you know there are needles which the manufacturers say can be used to play ten sides? I know this may continue a debate that I see going on all the time. But I go out of my way to find those kinds of needles. I do use the use once only type needles too but when I have a stack of 80 records to play (two sided) I use the ones good for ten side.
There is no debate, only fact: those "ten per" needles are meant for lightweight pickups of the 1940s and 1950s, not acoustic ones and no matter what claims they made, they will develop a chisel point after one or two sides and start wearing out your records. This has been discussed here and proven many times over.

Sean