A fully restored VV-XVIII - perhaps worst job ever?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: A fully restored VV-XVIII - perhaps worst job ever?

Post by Uncle Vanya »

phonogfp wrote:If Paul Edie and/or Bob Baumbach were responsible for that job, I'll eat that entire VV-XVIII.

George P.

Without ketchup?

Tastes better with ketchup.

That said, Mr. Edie and Mr. Baumbach both know well what these machines should look like. I am as certain as Mr. Paul that this is not their work.

It looks like a well-done Minwax Polyshades job. The pigmented Minwax stains can obscure and muddy the appearance of the Wood's grain if they are applied to excess.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Uncle Vanya wrote:
phonogfp wrote:If Paul Edie and/or Bob Baumbach were responsible for that job, I'll eat that entire VV-XVIII.

George P.

Without ketchup?

Tastes better with ketchup.

That said, Mr. Edie and Mr. Baumbach both know well what these machines should look like. I am as certain as Mr. Paul that this is not their work.

It looks like a well-done Minwax Polyshades job. The pigmented Minwax stains can obscure and muddy the appearance of the Wood's grain if they are applied to excess.
Looks like some barbecue sauce is already included to me!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Would it be best if we, the members of this forum, did not publicly criticize machines in an on-line public forum?
Perhaps asking for comments regarding a certain machine via pm would be much kinder.
This is not my machine nor do I know the owner, but I'd hate to read the remarks here if it was mine.
This is one of the reasons why I rarely post here any more.
I apologize if I come across as preachy or holier than thou.
Perhaps I'm more on the sensitive side than most.

Gene
Last edited by gemering on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

gemering wrote:Would it be best if we, the members of this forum, did not publicly criticize machines in an on-line public forum?
Perhaps asking for comments regarding a certain machine via pm would be much kinder.
This is not my machine nor do I know the owner, but I'd hate to read the remarks here if it was mine.
I apologize if I come across as preachy or holy than thou.

Gene
Your point is well taken, though I think that the seller's apparent misattribution of the work to Edie is reason enough to remove that shield against criticism.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Uncle Vanya wrote:
gemering wrote:Would it be best if we, the members of this forum, did not publicly criticize machines in an on-line public forum?

Gene
Your point is well taken, though I think that the seller's apparent misattribution of the work to Edie is reason enough to remove that shield against criticism.
I agree. I can't remember posting criticism here unless it was asked for, but I'm sure neither Mr. Edie nor Mr. Baumbach would want that job attributed to them without someone offering an objection.

George P.

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

Uncle Vanya wrote:
the seller did not misrepresent - (s)he is selling two Victrolas - it is the other, not this one that is said to have been worked on by them - the OP on this thread mentioned the other listing in this thread and confused matters. Here is the CL listing for this XVIII, https://albany.craigslist.org/atq/d/hig ... 64071.html

VictrolaGuy - Walt
Victor Jr

Post by VictrolaGuy - Walt »

phonogfp wrote:
Uncle Vanya wrote:

Gene
I agree. I can't remember posting criticism here unless it was asked for, but I'm sure neither Mr. Edie nor Mr. Baumbach would want that job attributed to them without someone offering an objection.

George P.
But the seller makes no attribution to anyone and never did.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/atq/d/ ... 64212.html

Here is a permanent link for reference:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190218211 ... 64212.html

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Same seller...

“A professionally restored Victor Victrola Mahogany XVII phonograph. Immaculate work done by the team at the Victor Victrola web site. A great gift.”

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/atq/d/ ... 24088.html

Not looking to stir anything up, but I don’t believe I confused anything either. Both of these machines are from the same person and appear to have received the same sort of treatment, although just this one is attributed to the “Victor victrola web site.” And I’m sorry, but I don’t see anything wrong in using these as an example of the type of “restorative” work that’s generally frowned upon by many in this collectors community, and in pointing that out and discussing, should people want to.
Attachments
1F1D0B3E-B253-4768-B5EB-9BEFFBA95D79.jpeg
1F1D0B3E-B253-4768-B5EB-9BEFFBA95D79.jpeg (14.7 KiB) Viewed 988 times

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

VictrolaGuy - Walt wrote:But the seller makes no attribution to anyone and never did.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/atq/d/ ... 64212.html

Here is a permanent link for reference:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190218211 ... 64212.html
You are correct, but they list a XVII and attributed that restoration to these people. That machine also has a bit of a muddy looking finish and overly polished gold plating. I think that an assumption was made that both were restored by the same people. Looking at the restorations, the assumption seems logical, but not conclusive. Either way, the finish on both machines looks completely wrong.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Can we declare a postmortem on this horse? :)