Homebrewing an Electric Gramophone?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: Homebrewing an Electric Gramophone?

Post by Uncle Vanya »

There are far more junkers around than will ever be restored.

last year I was clearing some space in the cellar. I junked literally a ton of chassis. I could have easily provided you with all that you needed.

As it stands now, I do have a few power supplies laying about. I can probably come up with tube sockets, the old style. You could easily build up a simple amplifier which looks like this:
antique-radio-homebrew-amplifier_1_dd79037770069210df19f9badbe04eb1 (1).jpg
antique-radio-homebrew-amplifier_1_dd79037770069210df19f9badbe04eb1 (1).jpg (24.69 KiB) Viewed 257 times
The circuit would be very simple, and quite effective. You would need find three audio transformers. Id recommend that you use batteries for the grid bias, for that simplifies the wiring considerably, and the batteries, which in this application provide only voltage (there is virtually no current drawn) will last for their shelf life. A simple, cheap, 1920s balanced armature speaker like the RCA 100A unit would work splendidly:
RCA100A001_zps91f58426.jpg
Do you live in the "Radio Belt"? That is the Midwest, from Minnesota to Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts. If so, you will have no trouble at all finding what you need once you start looking for it.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Homebrewing an Electric Gramophone?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

NICE!!!

Unfortunately I do not live in the Radio Belt, I'm a South Carolinian.

You seem to be an expert on the topic. This is a foreign language to me, but I'm glad of your explanations because of the lack of information on how to rig one of these.

If you have some old parts that you'd be willing to get rid of, let me know. I don't have anything except a working phonograph motor and a tone arm...and space for them.

Thanks for the details.