Do you store records in your Victor record boxes?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Do you store records in your Victor record boxes?

Post by Jerry B. »

When I started collecting Victrolas back in the olden days I wasn't too concerned about having the correct records boxes or albums. As time passed and collecting changed a bit, collectors wanted correct record containers for their Victrolas. I made the effort to accumulate boxes for my VTLA. I quickly realized that boxes were both impractical and fragile in comparison to albums. I now have three versions of the VTLA and one early XVI all with empty boxes. What are your experiences and use of record boxes?

Jerry Blais

gemering
Victor IV

Re: Do you store records in your Victor record boxes?

Post by gemering »

Jerry,

I do not.
I find the boxes way too fragile and delicate to hold records.
They are in my L-door for display purposes only.

Gene

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I do, if you handle them carefully, I've never had any problems. The albums that replaced the boxes, however, are a different animal altogether, I don't keep records in those.

Sean

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

I do not store records in either vintage boxes or albums. Most of them are simply too fragile to use.

Jim

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I, too do not use either the albums or boxes. With the boxes, the records break if you take the record out, too fast. The book type albums have the covers tend to break, and the green envelopes split and crack, too. Remember this is 110 year old paper.
Harvey Kravitz

jsimmons0331
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Jim S

Post by jsimmons0331 »

I know this is a little off-topic. But I have quite a stack of 10" 78s which need better storage than like a stack of pancakes on a basement shelf (my current situation). So until I come up with something more traditional, I'm going to use these portable file totes from Staples, and keep the records in them in individual paper sleeves. 10" discs fit perfectly in the totes and I can use hanging file dividers if I want. Since the top locks and has a handle, they can easily be moved. Has anyone tried something like this?

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Portabl ... uct_757448

Jim

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hi Jim,

This type of portable file tote should work just fine to store 10" 78s in --- but I wouldn't trust the handle or the lock /latch mechanism to hold up under the weight of the records!!! To help avoid accidental breakage, always support these totes from below when carrying or moving them.

Bob

jsimmons0331
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Jim S

Post by jsimmons0331 »

Thanks for the heads up Bob. I already had several of these file totes and with a full load of paper files, I haven't had any failures carrying them. But I can see how a load of records my be heavier. I'll be sure to lift them from the bottom.

Jim