VTLA or XVI albums and boxes

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

Re: VTLA or XVI albums and boxes

Post by 52089 »

phonojim wrote:Albums replaced boxes in 1909, so boxes would not be appropriate for your XVI. The proper albums for your machine are the ones that hold 17 records each, so buying that VTLA in order to get the record boxes would not meet your goal. However, it sounds to me like buying the VTLA for it's own sake could be a good idea, especially if it is complete with the correct record boxes.

Jim
My 1910 type C L-door had boxes. I've never seen a type C with albums. What is your source?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

52089 wrote:
phonojim wrote:Albums replaced boxes in 1909, so boxes would not be appropriate for your XVI. The proper albums for your machine are the ones that hold 17 records each, so buying that VTLA in order to get the record boxes would not meet your goal. However, it sounds to me like buying the VTLA for it's own sake could be a good idea, especially if it is complete with the correct record boxes.

Jim
My 1910 type C L-door had boxes. I've never seen a type C with albums. What is your source?
Right, my Mahogany type C has boxes, my later C (very late) has albums. See my post on the first page.

Sean

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Zwebie has a Featured Phonograph #145 from 1910 and it appears to have albums. His may have received the newest stock of parts, being a Circassian Walnut machine. I have heard that Victor used up their old stock all through the production of the L-Door VV-XVI. Maybe there is no right or wrong. The boxes that I am getting are from 16672B, so it is from 1909.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

OK, so my Oak L-door sn 41147 type C was purchased on 12-12-11 and it has the albums, My Mahogany is only a couple thousand lower and also a type C - it has boxes. My Circassian L-door has a much lower number and it too has boxes. My VTLAs (flat top and dome top) both have boxes, for what it's worth.

Sean

mick_vt
Victor I
Personal Text: Foxtrotaholic

Post by mick_vt »

OrthoSean wrote:Actually the motor and associated parts were packed in the top of the crate, not in the record storage area. Here's a scan of an L-door manual, as far as I've always known, albums were wrapped individually and shipped in the storage compartment. Years ago, a Victrola XIV turned up at a local auction that had never been opened until before the auction and I remember how cool it was seeing such a neat site, the albums were are wrapped in brown paper inside.

Sean
Thanks Sean, this ties up with what my manual for my XVI says. The manual for the XI though seems to say that the hardware (but not the motor) was inside the cabinet, and makes no mention of albums being in there. It does however advertise the album's prices at the back... so perhaps later or lower models did not come with?

http://www.victor-victrola.com/Instructions.htm

Edit: Sorry, I'm muddying the discussion which is really about XVI's and VTLAs

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Hey Mick,

It's OK with me! I'm focused mainly on Victor so this stuff is right up my alley. The XI didn't come with albums, as far as I've always known, albums were standard with the XIV and up. You could obviously buy Victor albums for your XI and other companies offered similar sets.

Sean